Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Mortite on 290 horn
Mortite on 290 horn [message #74192] Sun, 21 October 2012 14:02 Go to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
Wayne,

Do run the Mortite on the 4PI speakers you build for customers? The 4PIs you bring to shows... Do these have this on the 290?

I don't have this on mine... curious

Thanks,
Andy
Re: Mortite on 290 horn [message #74194 is a reply to message #74192] Sun, 21 October 2012 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I never apply any damping material to the horns. The bell mode frequency is well below the passband and it is highly damped by the horn's mass, so I don't see any need to damp it further. The plastic is really thick.

That said, it doesn't hurt anything. Lots of our friends here do it, probably as a perfectionist move. I don't see any difference in measurements, but if it makes 'em feel better, there's certainly no harm in doing it.

Re: Mortite on 290 horn [message #74218 is a reply to message #74194] Mon, 22 October 2012 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
That makes sense. I'll probably leave it alone and maybe down the road give it a try.
Re: Mortite on 290 horn [message #74221 is a reply to message #74192] Mon, 22 October 2012 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The now absolete Eminence H290 had hollowed areas that were filled with electrician's putty on my 3 Pi and 6 Pi builds. Adhesive backed 1/2" acoustic foam insulation cut into four roughly triangular shapes were used to cover the remaining flatter areas of the horn flares. The narrow end of the throat (hollows filled with putty) was additionally wrapped circumferentially with a 2 1/2" strip of the same acoustic foam and secured with a few passes of nylon twine. The resulting horns were incredibly well damped and produced only the dullest thud with a strong tap of the horn mouth. The new H290C may not benefit as much from such treatment if the native structure is sufficiently inert.
Re: Mortite on 290 horn [message #74222 is a reply to message #74192] Mon, 22 October 2012 08:36 Go to previous message
Viscount
Right on.

I saved a copy of this detail. I'm running the Emmenance H290. I'm thinking I'll run these for a couple months or so without this tweek. I like many on this forum do DIY stuff so sooner or later curiosity will get the better of me and I'll try this.

Thanks for the detail on this!!!
Previous Topic: 6 pi plan request
Next Topic: 12Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 20:36:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers