Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Compression Drivers
Re: Compression Drivers [message #74432 is a reply to message #74426] Sat, 10 November 2012 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

zheka wrote on Sat, 10 November 2012 14:43
Have you noticed any changes in authentic DE250s recently?

No, I have not. And as you are aware, I gave them a pretty thorough run of measurements when I tested the H290C waveguide. They act exactly like they always have, at least since I started using them.

In fact, look at the current spec sheet from B&C:
Same as it ever was.

Some characteristics of compression drivers are pretty stable and consistent, but others aren't. Part of a good design is making the crossover tolerate shifts that are most likely. Because they will shift, actually quite a bit, in some respects. That's normal.

The front chamber size and phase plug slots are usually pretty consistent from unit-to-unit. So you can count on the acoustic reactance from those features to stay constant. Alnico magnets may (permanently) lose strength when run hard, but ceramic and neodymium magnets are resistant to demagnetization. So (BL) motor strength is pretty stable in ceramic and neo motors, less so in alnico. Diaphragms can deform when pressed hard, and sometimes their environment can affect them too. Things like sunlight and humidity sometimes affect them. But in general, you can expect the diaphragms to be pretty consistent unless they are damaged. But the one thing that is all over the map is the voice coil. It will change drastically at different drive levels - even seemingly small drive level changes - and this changes motor strength and electrical damping. Lots of non-linear properties shift as well.
I think the real problem is Geddes crossovers are too sensitive to driver parameter shifts and unit-to-unit variations. This is a common problem, one that I've seen in both DIY and commercial speakers. Some system designs are just more sensitive than others, and in my opinion, one of the most important features of a good design is its tolerance of parameter shifts.

Geddes may use tank circuits in his crossover for impedance/response shaping. He's not alone, I've seen it done by other manufacturers and DIYers as well. It is a fairly common approach, but ill-advised, in my opinion. That kind of crossover design is way too sensitive to changes in drivers, both from unit-to-unit variation and even from shifts due to temperature change at various power levels.

It is described in my Speaker Crossover document as a "resonating damper for the tweeter circuit" and is used as a way to mitigate peaks in impedance, which often show up as aberrations in response. As I said above, the problem with this approach is it is fairly sensitive to driver parameter shifts, and that's why I don't do it in my crossover. Variations between driver units make them hard to match with the crossover. Even temperature changes in the voice coil (which happen as drive voltage changes) will move the peaks enough that the tank circuits do not match.

Probably the greatest strength of my crossover is having that R1/R2/C1 network do all the work. It provides specific damping, and that approach is more tolerant of driver shifts than using tank circuits. Of course, it helps when the horn/waveguide is built properly, and doesn't have resonant modes in the passband.

Re: Compression Drivers [message #74433 is a reply to message #74432] Sun, 11 November 2012 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
Great!
Thank you, Wayne.
Re: Compression Drivers [message #74440 is a reply to message #74432] Sun, 11 November 2012 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount

Wayne Parham wrote on Sat, 10 November 2012 22:53
...Of course, it helps when the horn/waveguide is built properly, and doesn't have resonant modes in the passband.

Do some manufacturers use tank filters to notch resonant modes because the waveguides they use cause peaks?

Re: Compression Drivers [message #74444 is a reply to message #74440] Mon, 12 November 2012 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I see tank circuits in a variety of loudspeakers, but I see them most often used with CD horns and waveguides. Conical horns are usually peaky if truncated at all, and all CD horns and waveguides share a common heritage with conical horns. So it is natural to conjugate these peaks with (notch filter) tank circuits. The problem is as driver characteristics change, either from unit-to-unit variation or even from thermal drift, the tank circuit required would need to change too. That's why I prefer resistive dampers to reactive dampers (notch filters) in this case.

There are a lot of horn/waveguide products on the market that are highly reactive in their passbands. An example of a horn like this is the SEOS12. It is more a curved baffle than a horn, pretty much just a dimple on the baffle. At 3.5" long, it's barely long enough to even hit the primary resonant mode at its ~1kHz crossover point. So it provides very little acoustic loading for the first octave and is reactive high into the passband.

A conical horn and most of the waveguide derivatives load the driver poorly, and the ratio of mouth area to depth is all it has to set the load. As with all things, there are competing priorities here. A 90° wall angle sets the depth accordingly, but then to add a secondary flare to combat waistbanding decreases depth or increases mouth size, whichever way you want to look at it. That's why the SEOS horns are so reactive. Lots of other waveguides suffer this problem too, to tell the truth.

Conventional wisdom says larger mouths smooth ripple, but this is only true when the mouth is undersized. One can go too far with this, and actually make the mouth too large. That will increase ripple too. A horn is reactive not only when the mouth is too small, but also if it is too short. The former problem is usually the case with basshorns, because mouth area requirements are prohibitively large. But the latter problem is sometimes seen in tweeters, especially in the newer waveguides that may not have been analyzed for acoustic loading.

In any case, I personally find it better to not try and chase down a horn with peaks using tank circuits. It's like trying to push an air balloon under water with a pole. I much prefer the R1/R2/C1 method, which I developed after years of working with these kinds of speakers. The speaker document I referenced above was sort of a treatise on the various strategies I had used over the years, and it sort of builds up to the solution I use today.

Re: Compression Drivers [message #74446 is a reply to message #74430] Mon, 12 November 2012 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tom-m is currently offline  tom-m
Baron

GRBoomer wrote on Sat, 10 November 2012 20:31

Well with B&C having problem getting product to market, it only hurts them more. The DE250's delivery just slipped another month until mid December. LoudspeakerPlus and PartsExpress and I assume everyone else cannot get any inventory.

I was going to go B&C for some of the reasons above. Now, I am forced to find alternatives. 4Pis need to be up in running in my movie room by Thanksgiving.

Just my opinion, but I think a Radian would be a good replacement in this situation.

Re: Compression Drivers [message #74448 is a reply to message #74446] Mon, 12 November 2012 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
Supply problems are commonplace in the electronics industry and have been for some time. The Far East appears to be having economic problems much more severe than has been generally recognized in the West and many parts for speakers and electronics are now available exclusively from Chinese or other Asian manufacturers. The bad news is that the situation could worsen if the transition of political power in China does not go smoothly, the dollar declines further or the European economy continues to slide.

On the good news front, Eminence is clearly able to keep up with demand and is far less dependent on outside suppliers and off-shore production than most driver manufacturers. Acoustic Elegance also seems to be catching up on their backlog of orders and is on a surer business footing. The AE TD12S that I received a few weeks ago measures exactly like the others I have used and sounds great!
Re: Compression Drivers [message #74449 is a reply to message #74448] Mon, 12 November 2012 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
rkeman,
The TD12S you received, was it purchased through the group buy? I am still waiting for those myself.
Re: Compression Drivers [message #74452 is a reply to message #74449] Mon, 12 November 2012 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
My TD12S was actually ordered late in March of this year, well after the group buy closed. It seems as though some of the models have become available before others. I hope yours arrive soon.
Re: Compression Drivers [message #74456 is a reply to message #74452] Mon, 12 November 2012 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I'm glad you got your drivers. I was curious about whether or not you were in the group-buy because there is zero communication from AE regarding the purchase. AE apparently is making the group-buy people, like myself, wait, and new buyers and commercial users get first priority.

Re: Compression Drivers [message #74485 is a reply to message #74456] Fri, 16 November 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

As I understand it, John has 50 group-buy woofers that will be shipping soon from Acoustic Elegance. You might ping him and see if yours is on the list. Hope you get 'em soon!

Previous Topic: 4Pi crossover study
Next Topic: About 4pi
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 23:06:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout