Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 PI by Andy
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74041 is a reply to message #74040] Wed, 03 October 2012 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's better if the coils are not in the same plane. Position them like this:

http://www.pispeakers.com/misc/pcb_gasket_outline.jpg
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74057 is a reply to message #74041] Thu, 04 October 2012 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
Wow! My crossovers are suddenly looking really ugly! Even more in comparision to what you have! Oh well.. The solder points are solid and it is to the schematic. I'll hide them in the speaker where nobody will know.

I stood up the .5 and left the 1.0 and 1.5 flat. the 1.0 and the 1.5 are about 4" from one another so I should be good. I say this from a "How To" write up on Parts Express for how to build a cross over. In this it is said the 3-4" in apart range is where the magnetic interference is no longer an issue.

Either way.. I could pull off the .5 inducer... I don't think I could pull off the 1.0 or 1.5. These 14ga are big and held down with lots of glue. I could hardly pull off the .5 ones.

I'll be building in a few weeks and I'll come back with updates.

This will be gradual.

PS - I would have purchased the parts from you Wayne but I got them some time ago.... When you were out of the Eminence horns and 2226 woofers. I was planning to build in the Summer/Early Fall but just too busy.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74355 is a reply to message #74057] Sat, 03 November 2012 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I was trying to wrap up the build yesterday on these bad boys. I had a bad JBL 2226H driver Crying or Very Sad

Hooked it up and dead as a door nail... nothing. I purchased this back in July from Guitar Center and was able to talk them into a return. Lucky! I should have just been smart and waited to buy from Wayne when I was REALLY going to build. Summer too busy and these sat for months.

I had the one hooked up and it is spectacular. so vivid and robust. Not having the second is killing me!

PS - woofer grill is a must.. 3 and 5 year olds in home. I tried with and without and the sound is excellent. My ears don't really notice a down fall with the grill so far.

Thanks for the help Wyane!!!

I don't have speaker measuring gear... My ears are happy and that is good enough for me!!!
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74356 is a reply to message #74355] Sat, 03 November 2012 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
PS

The wood is Marine Grade OKOUME that I got from a higher end wood supply shop.. This is used for Chris Craft Woodies (Nice Wood speed boats). I was going to buy baltic at 58.00 a sheet and explained to the guy the void free need. He said he sold this stuff to speaker builders and it is void free.. And has a Mahogany veneer that turned out well with some stain/poly.

The OKOUME is void free and was 129.00 a sheet. No veneer work is good as I suck at it.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74357 is a reply to message #74355] Sat, 03 November 2012 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
mantha3 wrote on Sat, 03 November 2012 09:26
\

PS - woofer grill is a must.. 3 and 5 year olds in home. I tried with and without and the sound is excellent. My ears don't really notice a down fall with the grill so far.

where did you buy the grill?
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74361 is a reply to message #74357] Sat, 03 November 2012 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Parts Express

15" Peavy grill kit.

Respond if you have trouble finding it
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74367 is a reply to message #74361] Sat, 03 November 2012 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's an awesome looking build! Sorry you had trouble with the woofer, but I'm glad the place you bought them is supporting you.

At the time you started building, the 2226H woofers were unobtanium, and none of us knew when that would change. I'm glad they got that worked out and we have plentiful stock again. Sorry I didn't have 2226 woofers on the shelf when you started.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74378 is a reply to message #74367] Sun, 04 November 2012 16:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I got antsy seeing you and parts express out of stock on the 2226... I found some at Guitar Center and got them. If I had been patient and waited for stock to come back perhaps I'd have Stereo 4 PI right now. Patience is a virtue...

I did the same with the Eminence 290 horn.. Found a place in Canada that still had these and got em.. Patient I could have your new horns.

I decided I wanted these speakers and worried about the parts.

PS - I don't have measuring tools/software... So for now it is just my ears telling me things are awsome!

Thanks again. I hope to post a photo of a pair of these soon. With some luck I'll have a good audition of these this coming weekend
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74421 is a reply to message #74018] Sat, 10 November 2012 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
All in place for now.

Wayne,

Have you ever ran any subwoofer built with the 2242H driver by JBL?

I was thinking I'd try that driver on a sub.
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #74422 is a reply to message #74421] Sat, 10 November 2012 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I love that woofer. Also love the 2241. But my favorite is the 2245.

Put one of those woofers in a 10ft3 box tuned to 30Hz. It makes an awesome sub. Like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=914&private=0

Previous Topic: 2 pi tower folding?
Next Topic: 4 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 06:10:52 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers