Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4 PI by Andy
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #75290 is a reply to message #75289] Sun, 20 January 2013 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Damping material is not needed in traditional subs run outdoors, distributed subs in a multisub arrangement, or pretty much any subwoofer that is acoustically small. But that's a key: The subwoofer cabinet must be acoustically small, which means the low-pass frequency must be low enough that internal standing waves do not develop in the passband.

Otherwise the rules change.

If you run a big box like the one you posted as a flanking sub, then it will receive some lower midrange frequencies, and at certain frequencies, standing waves will develop inside. So I would put insulation in a big box like that, if I were running it as a flanking sub. And I wouldn't just line the walls, I'd also span the cross-section. In fact, I'd measure the finished product and make sure it was clean in the lower midrange, to even determine whether or not it was suitable as a flanking sub.

That's the whole reason we take such care with our mains, the ones that are physically large. The reason is standing waves develop in the lower midrange, and at those frequencies, the insulation inside is unable to effectively damp the standing wave nodes. So we do careful analysis to make sure the driver and port don't fall on a pressure node and we also put insulation inside that spans the cross-section. That's a more effective location for midrange attenuation - Bass goes right through but lower midrange is damped more effectively.

A physiclaly small sub, something like a 20" square box, cannot develop standing waves below 300Hz. So it's completely safe to run as a flanking sub. You can easily run it up to the Schroeder frequency without having any internal standing waves.

But even if we just increase a single cabinet dimension to three feet, now we have standing wave modes below 200Hz. This is getting down into the lower midrange, and it can adversely affect response if the pressure node lies where the driver and/or port are.

Lots of DIYers build cabinets using T/S box modelers and forget about internal standing waves. The Helmholtz frequency may be right and response below 100Hz is perfect, but the lower midrange can develop a 3dB to 6dB peak somewhere. They won't even know it unless they measure, and even then, sometimes they mis-identify the cause, thinking it's an outside reflection or even baffle diffraction.

Of course, reflection anomalies from nearest boundaries do fall in this frequency band too. But they tend to be most noticeable as notches, not peaks. And you won't see them in an outdoor measurement, in any case.

So anyway, all that to say be careful of internal standing waves in a physically large cabinet. Large cabinets are preferable, in my opinion, because they improve bass response (Hoffman's Iron Law) and because they give ample baffle area, keeping baffle diffraction at a low enough frequency it is masked by the room (and mitigated with flanking subs). But physically large boxes take more dilligence to optimize, because the designer must always be mindful of internal standing waves.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #75291 is a reply to message #75290] Sun, 20 January 2013 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
Thank you very much.

The box I am working on is also 10ft^3. The longest side is about 36" internal. It would not be used as true flanking sub but it may be low passed as high as 120Hz. If standing waves indeed form in this case, they would come form the harmonics, not main content

Would you recommend using damping material for such a box? If so, what material is effective at such low frequencies? Is there a downside to damping subwoofers if it's not really needed?

Thank you.

Wayne Parham wrote on Sun, 20 January 2013 13:01

Damping material is not needed in traditional subs run outdoors, distributed subs in a multisub arrangement, or pretty much any subwoofer that is acoustically small. But that's a key: The subwoofer cabinet must be acoustically small, which means the low-pass frequency must be low enough that internal standing waves do not develop in the passband.

Otherwise the rules change.

If you run a big box like the one you posted as a flanking sub, then it will receive some lower midrange frequencies, and at certain frequencies, standing waves will develop inside. So I would put insulation in a big box like that, if I were running it as a flanking sub. And I wouldn't just line the walls, I'd also span the cross-section. In fact, I'd measure the finished product and make sure it was clean in the lower midrange, to even determine whether or not it was suitable as a flanking sub.

That's the whole reason we take such care with our mains, the ones that are physically large. The reason is standing waves develop in the lower midrange, and at those frequencies, the insulation inside is unable to effectively damp the standing wave nodes. So we do careful analysis to make sure the driver and port don't fall on a pressure node and we also put insulation inside that spans the cross-section. That's a more effective location for midrange attenuation - Bass goes right through but lower midrange is damped more effectively.

A physiclaly small sub, something like a 20" square box, cannot develop standing waves below 300Hz. So it's completely safe to run as a flanking sub. You can easily run it up to the Schroeder frequency without having any internal standing waves.

But even if we just increase a single cabinet dimension to three feet, now we have standing wave modes below 200Hz. This is getting down into the lower midrange, and it can adversely affect response if the pressure node lies where the driver and/or port are.

Lots of DIYers build cabinets using T/S box modelers and forget about internal standing waves. The Helmholtz frequency may be right and response below 100Hz is perfect, but the lower midrange can develop a 3dB to 6dB peak somewhere. They won't even know it unless they measure, and even then, sometimes they mis-identify the cause, thinking it's an outside reflection or even baffle diffraction.

Of course, reflection anomalies from nearest boundaries do fall in this frequency band too. But they tend to be most noticeable as notches, not peaks. And you won't see them in an outdoor measurement, in any case.

So anyway, all that to say be careful of internal standing waves in a physically large cabinet. Large cabinets are preferable, in my opinion, because they improve bass response (Hoffman's Iron Law) and because they give ample baffle area, keeping baffle difrraction at a low enough frequency it is masked by the room (and mitigated with flanking subs). But physically large boxes take more dilligence to optimize, because the designer must always be mindful of internal standing waves.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #75292 is a reply to message #74018] Sun, 20 January 2013 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
And somewhat related question

What's the lowest acceptable first resonant frequency for such a sub in your opinion?
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #75293 is a reply to message #75291] Sun, 20 January 2013 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There is no downside to lining the cabinet walls with acoustic damping material. I've had best luck with R13 insulation. So feel free to add it.

If you're concerned with midrange, you can also install a sheet that spans the cross-section. It seems to work best at midrange frequencies when the cross-section sheet is between woofer and port.

But if you're going to use it as a prosound sub, I would probably discourage the cross-section sheet because there's a lot of air moving at full tilt. A prosound sub should be purpose oriented, and big boxes with big ports should be used without anything impeding airflow between them.

A box with 36" internal dimension will have a standing wave at 180Hz. It will have others too, but the longest dimension sets the lowest axial mode. So that's the one to watch.

I wouldn't be comfortable using that as a flanking sub unless I measured it and knew it wasn't making any artifacts all the way up to 200Hz.

And that's really the issue here - I'm not saying standing waves will create response anomalies, I'm saying they might. If signals are presented to a woofer in a cabinet with at least one 36" dimension, then standing waves will exist inside the cabinet. If the woofer or port sits on a pressure node, then those standing waves will cause a response peak. So you would probably want to make sure the port and woofer are positioned in such a way that response is good. That's what we do when designing the mains too, or at least, that's what I do. It's why I tell people to be careful when contemplating baffle changes and mods.

This is basically a measurement thing. Measure the box and look for ripple above 150Hz. If you don't see any, then there's nothing to worry about. If you do see ripple, then you can either change the baffle and put the port and/or woofer in a different location, or you can limit the frequency range, and don't send signals at or above the anomalous range. Low-pass it below the frequency where it gets wonky.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #76364 is a reply to message #75289] Thu, 18 April 2013 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
I finally got a Subwoofer built using the 2242h 18" driver. Love it!

I'd 100% support anyone in going this route. I'd love to go with 2 but the room is an issue... that and the $$$$.

index.php?t=getfile&id=1115&private=0
  • Attachment: speakers.jpg
    (Size: 91.39KB, Downloaded 5198 times)
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #76368 is a reply to message #76364] Thu, 18 April 2013 18:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Those speakers look fantastic!

But - yeah - I know what you mean about the size of those big-box 10ft3 monster subs. They start getting intrusive when you consider using them in multiples. That's why I designed a smaller cabinet when I started doing multisubs.

My little three π subwoofer is a nice size for flanking the mains and/or distributed multisub placement. It provides excellent extension and smooth response, but it isn't as efficient the larger cabinets like you have. That's the trade-off for their smaller size.

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #76375 is a reply to message #76368] Thu, 18 April 2013 19:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I used Marine Grade Okoume on the build like my 4PI. This is basically good baltic birch type void free wood.. Nice Mahogany veneer... I suck at veneer... I have two layers of 3/4" for the face..

The face I cut the port smaller then the actual port... Then ran a flush cut router so the actual hole of the wood is perfect with the port as the port drove the flush cut router bit. The port was put into a recessed hole on the back of the baffle.. Then I ran some L brackets and some worm gear HVAC brackets.. Covered all in some PL adhesive.. Strong to hold that fat 10lb port

index.php?t=getfile&id=1134&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1135&private=0

Before Braces:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1136&private=0

Braces:

index.php?t=getfile&id=1137&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1138&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=1139&private=0
  • Attachment: sub1.jpg
    (Size: 88.67KB, Downloaded 5216 times)
  • Attachment: sub2.jpg
    (Size: 63.58KB, Downloaded 5035 times)
  • Attachment: sub3.jpg
    (Size: 101.17KB, Downloaded 5038 times)
  • Attachment: sub4.jpg
    (Size: 82.39KB, Downloaded 5199 times)
  • Attachment: sub5.jpg
    (Size: 47.88KB, Downloaded 5020 times)
  • Attachment: sub6.jpg
    (Size: 105.79KB, Downloaded 5177 times)
Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #76376 is a reply to message #76375] Thu, 18 April 2013 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount

index.php?t=getfile&id=1118&private=0

• Attachment: speakers.jpg
    (Size: 54.15KB, Downloaded 5307 times)
icon14.gif  Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #76379 is a reply to message #76376] Fri, 19 April 2013 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Impressive system, and nice finish work, they look great!

I've always loved the JBL 2242 driver. I think my favorite all time direct radiating sub is a JBL 2245 in a 10ft3 box tuned to 30Hz. The 2241 and 2242 are very similar, and louder too. So kudos to you on that!

Re: 4 PI by Andy [message #76393 is a reply to message #76379] Fri, 19 April 2013 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
I was looking into the 2245 VS the 2242 and went with the 2242... I think the 2242 in a 10 cu ft box goes a tad bit lower... Both options you can't go wrong with.

Previous Topic: 2 pi tower folding?
Next Topic: 4 Pi plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 17:36:38 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout