Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Pi Speakers for dubbing studio
Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74005] Tue, 02 October 2012 09:47 Go to next message
Bensky is currently offline  Bensky
Esquire
Hi all,

I am in the process of specifying the speakers for in my new mixing theater. They will be used behind a screen in a room volume of about 8000 cu feet (20 by 30 by 13), and listened at a distance of about 18 feet.

I mostly mix material which is dialogue driven (documentary), so midrange precision is of primary importance.

So which speakers would do a better job at this between the 3pi and the 4pi.

Thank you very much

Bensky
Re: Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74006 is a reply to message #74005] Tue, 02 October 2012 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rkeman is currently offline  rkeman
Viscount
The 3 Pi with the Acoustic Elegance TD12S has a wonderfully neutral midrange and has good placement flexiblity. The 3 Pi utilizing the Eminence Delta 12LF is only slightly less transparent and is a good alternative if cost is an issue. The 6 Pi corner horn is even a bit better than the AE-based 3 Pi; however appropriate room corners are required.
Re: Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74008 is a reply to message #74006] Tue, 02 October 2012 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I agree, the three π loudspeaker with upgraded drivers is an excellent choice. But so is the four π speaker, for that matter, provided the upgrades are installed.

To me, the midwoofer chosen is more important than the cabinet model, because the three π and the four π have similar tonal balance, radiation pattern and other characteristics.

The differences are largely in the drivers. The entry level drivers are very good, but the upgraded ones are better. I consider the fully-upgraded three π and the four π models to both be best-of class loudspeakers.

More info here:

Re: Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74009 is a reply to message #74008] Tue, 02 October 2012 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
So you think both model will be able to fill a 600 square feet space (8000 cu feet)
in an LCR configuration?

Thank you

Bensky
Re: Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74011 is a reply to message #74009] Tue, 02 October 2012 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, both will work great in that space.

Re: Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74012 is a reply to message #74005] Tue, 02 October 2012 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thank you very much for the practical information.

Wayne, do you know approximately how much will it cost to ship 3 kits of 3pi to
Canada (Quebec)?
Is it possible to send it by USPS?

Thank you

Bensky

Re: Pi Speakers for dubbing studio [message #74015 is a reply to message #74012] Tue, 02 October 2012 14:48 Go to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

We ship by many different methods, which you can choose from. The best way to get a shipping quote is to start an order in the shopping cart. Put the item you're interested in the cart and start the checkout process. It will ask your address and calculate shipping using a variety of shippers and methods before it asks for payment information. You can order at that time, if you want, but you don't have to. Makes an easy way to get shipping quotes.

Another thing that you might consider is getting just the waveguides and crossovers (stuffed or unstuffed) from us. If you can source your own drivers locally, this can save shipping costs. I think shipping is pretty reasonable to Canada, we sell a lot of kits and speakers there. But overseas shipping is more expensive, and so the waveguide + crossover option is popular with our customers on other continents.

Previous Topic: 4 Pi Screws
Next Topic: Question regarding pi4 stuffing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:47:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout