Home » Audio » Speaker » Speakers that surprised you
Speakers that surprised you [message #73949] Tue, 25 September 2012 20:38 Go to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
Have you ever been surprised by the quality of another person's speakers? The other day my friend was bragging about how great his Bose 301 speakers sounded, and I was very skeptical. They actually sounded pretty good though. My overall opinion of Bose wasn't changed, but I can see why some people like some of their products.
Re: Speakers that surprised you [message #73982 is a reply to message #73949] Thu, 27 September 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I can't say I've ever been pleasantly surprised by Bose. It sounds subtly off, but what I really miss is feeling the air movement of bass frequencies.
Re: Speakers that surprised you [message #74225 is a reply to message #73949] Mon, 22 October 2012 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiot3ch is currently offline  audiot3ch
Chancellor
I'm surprised you haven't been impressed with Bose. For the price, you'd think they're the best speakers around. I guess it goes to show price doesn't always matter.

In aviation we use headsets by all sorts of companies. Bose is known as one of the best for clear audio and communication. Unfortunately they can cost upwards of $800.
Re: Speakers that surprised you [message #74488 is a reply to message #73949] Fri, 16 November 2012 18:46 Go to previous message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
While Bose products are ingeniusly engineered, they're neither audiophile nor pro sound quality, but are designed for a different experience, based on Dr. Bose's subjective feeling that recordings are too harsh and need to be softened. Bose speakers therefore can't be used as a studio monitor, because they deliberately introduce acoustic distortion in the form of diffuse reflections. Personally, as an audiophile and studio engineer -- who is interested in hearing what's actually on the recording -- I find the "Bose sound" terribly distorted, and I find the noise-reduction headphones so ridiculous as to be unlistenable.

That said... * To answer the original question *

Some speakers that really surprised me:

SoundPax Flat NXT Speakers, which are like a small plastic loudspeaker motor attached to a piece of flat cardboard.

Obviously designed only for unusual consumer applications, the big surprise was that they worked at all! But an even bigger surprise was after playing around with different constructions, I found that if you could ignore a few glaring inadequacies, they could actually sound pretty good! I removed the cardboard and attached a large piece of foam core, since it resonates so readily, and found them to actually be very pleasant to listen to, with a surprising amount of detail, given what a silly type of speaker I was listening to. I thought it was really neat that you could actually stick them to the back of a foam-core-mounted poster and have a decent sounding "mystery sound system".

Read this review on AudioNirvana to read someone else's experience.
Previous Topic: Speaker Stand Article
Next Topic: BEYMA TPL 150
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 04:50:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout