Home » Audio » Craftsmen » 2pi build question (insulation)
2pi build question [message #73869] Wed, 19 September 2012 19:54 Go to next message
mightym is currently offline  mightym
Chancellor
Wayne was kind enough to send me the plans for the 2pi towers in advance of the kit. In examining them he recommends searching the forum for build tips. I've built Speakers before, sooo.

Has anyone used the Home Depot " Ultra Touch Denim insulation " inside of a Pi kit? These speakers are to be built for a young person, and I don't want to worry about the Fiberglass in them being accessible through the vent to curious hands.

What manner of attachment to the sidewall and baffle is recommended? can I just throw a staple in there every so often? I've always used other types of insulation in the past, and used contact cement for foam and felt type, or relied on the poly type being teased and stuffed into the cavity as in a TL.

No idea if these are going to end up being Veneered, or the ply edge-treated in some form or fashion. Haven't gotten that far yet, Stay tuned!

John

Re: 2pi build question [message #73870 is a reply to message #73869] Wed, 19 September 2012 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like using regular wood glue to hold the insulation. I've tried staples - sure goes faster - but then there's always the risk of one coming loose and rattling inside. So I've long opted for a liberal meandering bead of white glue. Holds it in place just fine.

Also, I would stick with R11 and forget about the other stuff. The fiberglass insulation works well and most of the other material people try really doesn't. Put a course metal grille mesh over the port of you're worried about curious hands or critters getting in there.

Re: 2pi build question [message #73965 is a reply to message #73870] Wed, 26 September 2012 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I just used R11 in mine with some Liquid Nails construction adhesive to tack it down. Like Wayne said, just put a metal grill over the port.

There are pics here on the site somewhere of mine in that phase of the build.
Re: 2pi build question [message #73974 is a reply to message #73869] Wed, 26 September 2012 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mightym is currently offline  mightym
Chancellor
Thanks for your photo input Shane. It make more sense when you can see it for yourself.

In the earlier versions of the Pi1/2 the tweeter looked like a horn or piezo ( sp? ) unit. Were they changed due to lack of availability? Which do your Pi2's have Shane?

Thanks for the replies Gents.

Shane, I'm still rocking the Cans, and my little Fiio Headphone amp./USB DAC. Those A.T., ATHM 50's are very nicely broken in, I love them.

John
Re: 2pi build question [message #73975 is a reply to message #73974] Wed, 26 September 2012 20:27 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Mine have the newer dome tweeter. I believe Wayne changed them due to a discontinuance of the older model. It has a pretty smooth response to my ears and bonus of having good sensitivity for a dome.
Previous Topic: Connecting Cables for dummies
Next Topic: Finally Happy With DIY TT
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 23:28:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout