Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Finally Happy With DIY TT
Finally Happy With DIY TT [message #73802] Wed, 12 September 2012 22:49 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
index.php?t=getfile&id=854&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=855&private=0
Hi Everyone, It has been a long fight. For a while I thought that the router, saw and paint were going to win...but I beat them into submission. It took two sets of materials, several coats of paint and subsequent removal of it and redo the paint to get what I liked. The Plinth is made of two cross laminated boards that were themselves laminated 4 inch wide strips. So it is rigid and should be resistant to warping. The arm board is of high density particle board. Motive power is by a Dual 701 direct drive assembly. The arm is an Origin Live Alliance ( a knife edge variant of some of their other arms). The cartridge is a Dynavector 10X5 with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever. The paint is BTW "sand paint" and is textured. I covered it with two clear coats of acrylic. The feet were salvaged from a junk TT. It works great and with a weight of nearly 30 pounds is immune to nearly any sort of vibration.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Finally Happy With DIY TT [message #73805 is a reply to message #73802] Wed, 12 September 2012 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, man, that's cool. Looks like the plinth is made from rock!

Re: Finally Happy With DIY TT [message #73812 is a reply to message #73805] Thu, 13 September 2012 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes it does look like rock, and is nearly as heavy at close to 30 pounds. The all black lacquer finish was nice, but just like ones everyone else has. The "sand" paint is really cool looking up close and with the two clear coats on top quite shiny and durable.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Finally Happy With DIY TT [message #73966 is a reply to message #73812] Wed, 26 September 2012 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Nice! Very good job.

I wish I'd had the $$$ to pick up the one you had for sale way back. It would have been a MAJOR upgrade.
Re: Finally Happy With DIY TT [message #74229 is a reply to message #73802] Mon, 22 October 2012 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
Very nice! But I can't believe no one asked the OBVIOUS question...

How does it sound????? Smile

And since you've had a month to play with it, have you tweaked at it at all?

(Personally, I can't imagine not spending the next week tweaking at it 24/7, but everyone's got their own style...)
Re: Finally Happy With DIY TT [message #74238 is a reply to message #74229] Tue, 23 October 2012 22:59 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, The sound is lovely. The background is exceptionally quiet. No hum, no motor noise. The Dynavector 10X5 (now with a Soundsmith ruby cantilever and line contact stylus) is the cartridge recommended by Origin Live for the arm. The combination produces great detail and accuracy - especially for stringed instruments and vocals. Clean bass and a very wide sound stage. With the relatively massive construction external shocks and such cause virtually no effect. The Dual drive is quite accurate and since it is adjustable can be set accurately and it stays that way. I have heard that some folks say they can hear the drive in action, but I can not. All in all well worth the effort.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: 2pi build question
Next Topic: Anyone making DIY Cables?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:00:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers