Home » xyzzy » Tower » Blaming Music for Behavior
Blaming Music for Behavior [message #73785] Wed, 12 September 2012 09:19 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I thought we'd gotten past the knee-jerk response of blaming music for behavior, but I heard someone say the other day that listening to rap makes kids criminals. Rolling Eyes

Do you think there is any truth to blaming music or other media for bad behavior? To me, it seems a way of avoiding responsibility for a person's decisions.
Re: Blaming Music for Behavior [message #73787 is a reply to message #73785] Wed, 12 September 2012 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I think it's a chicken and egg thing. Think about the difference between someone that has a pretty calm life, free from drama and who prefers to listen to soft music and watching television and movies that aren't real violent. Then think of another person that has a lot of strife in their life, and prefers to listen to death metal or hardcore rap, plays violent video games and watches a lot of bloody television and movies. That kind of lifestyle runs away with itself, like an adrenaline addiction.

Re: Blaming Music for Behavior [message #73820 is a reply to message #73785] Fri, 14 September 2012 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I think Wayne's viewpoint is at least more nuanced than the "It's rap's fault" argument. I think music can possibly influence, but there are other factors at play and ultimately it's still up to the person and the choices they make.
Re: Blaming Music for Behavior [message #73986 is a reply to message #73785] Thu, 27 September 2012 22:43 Go to previous message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I wouldn't be surprised if there was a small correlation between violent music and bad behavior. However, I think the vast majority of people who enjoy violent entertainment live perfectly normal lives. My friends and I like listening to rappers like Eminem once in a while, and we play gory video games. I don't know anyone who has ever done anything violent though.
Previous Topic: I put wheels on one set of speakers
Next Topic: Another Cold
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:26:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout