Home » xyzzy » Tower » Best Antivirus Protection
Best Antivirus Protection [message #73642] Thu, 23 August 2012 14:03 Go to next message
Rockhaven is currently offline  Rockhaven
Chancellor
In my home there is a constant silent battle about what antivirus is best and what is worst. I hate Norton, McAffee, and AVG antivirus. I am ok with Avira and Comodo. I love Kaspersky. I never had virus problems with Kaspersky, and it wasn't complicated to use. What antivirus programs do you hate, and what do you prefer?
Re: Best Antivirus Protection [message #73660 is a reply to message #73642] Fri, 24 August 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I've never heard of Kaspersky, I'll have to look into that one. I was thinking of switching to something free like Avast or Avira, but we have Norton right now. I'm not sure why so many people hate Norton, it works fine for me. I think the free programs have come a long way though, so I probably won't renew my current subscription when it comes due.
Re: Best Antivirus Protection [message #73661 is a reply to message #73642] Fri, 24 August 2012 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm runing Trend Micro on mine. I like it a lot better than McAfee, it's quicker catching dangerous web sites.
Re: Best Antivirus Protection [message #73686 is a reply to message #73661] Mon, 27 August 2012 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Always a tough call. None are perfect. I dislike the ones that are resource intensive and slow everything down to a crawl. Right now I'm using Advanced Windows Care with Anti-virus. Also windows firewall and Spybot Teatimer. The combination seems to do the job. On the other PC it is AVG, Adaware and Windows firewall. I have tried Norton and McAfee and both managed to let stuff through. AVG did once as well. With as many forums, email systems and sites that I deal with it is almost a certainty that one will get hit sooner or later. My best defense is regular backups. I have two external USB drives that I alternate every other week. Then I can never lose more than one week's stuff.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Best Antivirus Protection [message #73703 is a reply to message #73686] Thu, 30 August 2012 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I use Avast as my realtime antivirus, running Malwarebytes and Superantispyware manually once a week. I use Zonealarm for my firewall. I've been using this setup for 6 months with no issues so far. I previously used Bitdefender for years with ZERO infections, but their latest version went from being stripped down using hardly any resources to mega-bloated. I never had any luck with Norton, McCafee, or Trend Micro.
Re: Best Antivirus Protection [message #74844 is a reply to message #73642] Sun, 09 December 2012 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeccoRec is currently offline  DeccoRec
Chancellor
I swear by Eset NOD32. We can browse and go places that might be pretty risky and Eset nails it every time. Eight years and still the best!
Re: Best Antivirus Protection [message #74944 is a reply to message #73642] Fri, 14 December 2012 17:23 Go to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I have one from Microsoft. It does what it does at a predetermined time everyday, keeps me clean, fast and I don't even notice it's there.

And it's free. It's perfect for me.
Previous Topic: The "Bounty" Scandal
Next Topic: Retirement
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:29:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers