Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4Pi stand height for home theater usage
4Pi stand height for home theater usage [message #73633] Thu, 23 August 2012 01:28 Go to next message
Silas is currently offline  Silas
Chancellor
What is the recommended stand height for home theater usage? I don't intend to use a slanted stand as many people use when set up for music. Is it still optimal to place the tweeter at ear level or could I mount them higher, allowing for usage when I have people over for a party and we're all standing up? My theater doubles as an entertainment room and I want to get optimal performance in each situation, even if it requires a compromise in stand height.
Re: 4Pi stand height for home theater usage [message #73635 is a reply to message #73633] Thu, 23 August 2012 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like to use a stand that's 12" to 15" or so. Be sure to use flanking subs too.

Re: 4Pi stand height for home theater usage [message #73788 is a reply to message #73635] Wed, 12 September 2012 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount

Wayne Parham wrote on Thu, 23 August 2012 08:03

I like to use a stand that's 12" to 15" or so. Be sure to use flanking subs too.

Hi Wayne,

I am planning to put mine on taller stands behind AT screen for better tracking with the video.
At what point do you recommend flipping the speakers upside down?
Is the ideal position ear level at the height of the horn or upper part of the woofer (center of the front lobe)?

thank you

Re: 4Pi stand height for home theater usage [message #73792 is a reply to message #73788] Wed, 12 September 2012 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

If the speaker is mounted high above the audience, it may be best to angle it down, turn it upside down or both. But that's unlikely in a home theater. It's more likely in dance halls, larger public theaters and venues like that.

I've hung speakers upside down in clubs, but I've never done it in home hifi or home theater setups. I'm sure there are probably situations where it makes sense, but I think it is uncommon. You want the left, right and center speakers pretty much at the same level as the screen.

Surrounds are usually a little higher than the mains, but in a home theater, we're still not generally talking about putting them high enough that the listeners would be outside the forward lobe.

The center of the forward lobe is between the center of the midwoofer and the tweeter. This point is actually in-line with the section of the midwoofer cone nearest the tweeter. But don't forget that the vertical section of the forward lobe is pretty tall, and it is clean throughout. As long as the listener is within the 40° vertical arc, they'll have good sound.

The 12" to 15" stand is perfect for speakers that are listened to when seated, but it can be twice that high and keep the listeners in the forward lobe. Once you're a few feet back, the listeners are in the lobe from floor to ceiling. It's basically the same angle as the wall angle of the tweeter, so if you can see the throat, you're in the lobe.

Re: 4Pi stand height for home theater usage [message #73793 is a reply to message #73792] Wed, 12 September 2012 14:32 Go to previous message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
perfect, thank you
Previous Topic: 2 Pi or 2 Pi Tower?
Next Topic: Why mount crossover components to separate board?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 23:50:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio