Home » Audio » General » The Sound of Traffic
The Sound of Traffic [message #73579] Mon, 13 August 2012 07:53 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
When you are near a busy road, do you find the sound of traffic annoying or relaxing? I'm used to quieter areas, so I notice traffic a lot and it's mildly annoying.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #73588 is a reply to message #73579] Tue, 14 August 2012 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Really? I think it's rather soothing myself. We have a highway running by our new house and it's white noise to me. The only exception is big trucks.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #73691 is a reply to message #73579] Mon, 27 August 2012 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I used to live pretty close to a highway, you could see it from our backyard. I'd love to go out there on nice nights, the noise level was perfect and soothing as AudioAudio90 said. My grandma lives right by a country freeway, and that's a little too close for my preferences.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #73693 is a reply to message #73691] Tue, 28 August 2012 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I grew up on 125 acres out in the country, with the nearest neighbor several hundred yards away, and each consecutive neighbor several hundred yards apart. In the daytime, you'd hear crows calling in the distance, amidst the sounds of our chickens, ducks, and goats that roamed the yard. At evening you could hear the quail calling, and the night sounds were cicadas, the frogs on our pond, and the breeze blowing through the trees. It was SO soothing to sleep with the windows open on cool nights. VERY nice. Aaaaaah, those were the good ol' days............. Smile

Now, I live in a city subdivision, one lot away from a busy corner intersection, and a couple hundred yards from a lumber mill that operates 24 hours a day. Then, when you add in the 24/7 screaming, yelling, and fighting-outside-in-the-yard of the meth-head welfare cases next door, well, you get the picture. The noise level is clearly audible even with the windows closed, and VERY annoying with them open. Hence, we only open them a few times a year. At least the knucklehead across the street moved out, who built competition car stereos and thought after 10 PM was the best time to test them. Mad

Thermionic
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #73753 is a reply to message #73579] Wed, 05 September 2012 19:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shel25 is currently offline  Shel25
Chancellor
I'm a country bumpkin so I don't like the sound of traffic. I don't like a lot of traffic either. If it's a tractor I'm good but a traffic jam - forget it. I don't think cars and their sounds are soothing at all.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #73786 is a reply to message #73579] Wed, 12 September 2012 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thermionic, that does sound awful. What you describe goes way beyond the white noise of traffic into an annoying cacophony. Did you ever ask your neighbor to test his stereos earlier in the day? I bet you were glad when he left.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #73796 is a reply to message #73579] Wed, 12 September 2012 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shel25 is currently offline  Shel25
Chancellor
I agree, I would have called the cops. It's terrible that people were testing stereo's so early. Some people just have no common sense or compassion for others.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #82256 is a reply to message #73579] Sat, 19 March 2016 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vaiger is currently offline  Vaiger
Viscount
Road noise is relaxing to me. Like static on an AM band at 2 in the morning. Tires screeching, metal on metal crunching, escalating sirens wailing from the distance and people crying......that's road noise I can do without.
Re: The Sound of Traffic [message #82383 is a reply to message #73579] Wed, 13 April 2016 12:23 Go to previous message
Finn is currently offline  Finn
Viscount
I'm not a fan of road noise. I live where it is quiet and getting stuck in traffic or walking on a really busy road bothers me. I guess this is why I bring headphones with me to drown out the noise.
Previous Topic: Earphones: is it dangerous?
Next Topic: McIntosh headphones
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:57:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout