Home » Audio » Speaker » Anyone have info on these?
Anyone have info on these? [message #73566] Fri, 10 August 2012 22:08 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I've had these around for some time and thought I might be able to put them to use but can't find any hard data on them. I ran the tests to determine the TS numbers and found that they are different. I suspect age has caused the change and one either has a more supple support structure or the other one that is more rigid. Ideas on getting them to match are welcome.

TS data

Speaker A / Speaker B
Fr 28.4 / 41.0
Qms 6.46 / 10.85
Qes 0.40 / 0.87
Qts 0.37 / 0.80
Re 5.8 / 5.8

They are 15 inch co-axials. They came from Lafayette Radio/Electronics sometime in the 60's or 70's. The only number is 21-47254W on the baskets.

LRE had some from several manufactures I believe incl Goodmans, Jenson, Utah. A web search didn't turn up anything in this size and configuration.
index.php?t=getfile&id=831&private=0index.php?t=getfile&id=830&private=0

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Anyone have info on these? [message #73568 is a reply to message #73566] Sat, 11 August 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Clearly from Utah as there are similar ones on ebay. Still no clue on what the "factory" parameters were. Nor any ideas on how to get them to match. I have considered that they may need to be broken in after sitting for years. Perhaps just feeding in a signal near the resonance points for a few days at low level. Ideas are always welcome.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Anyone have info on these? [message #73571 is a reply to message #73568] Sat, 11 August 2012 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, I thought I recognized those too, but I'm not familiar with them.

But sadly, I think if the parameters are off like that, you'll probably need a recone. Old speakers sometimes have stretched or sagging suspensions, which can't be "massaged" back to life. I mean, they'll make sound, but they won't be right.

Re: Anyone have info on these? [message #73575 is a reply to message #73571] Sat, 11 August 2012 21:55 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, yes, but probably not worth the cost. Right now they are buzzing away on an amp and signal generator. I'll see tomorrow if there have been any changes.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: iFish and iDog
Next Topic: Crossover Question
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:31:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers