Home » Audio » Radio » Is Traditional Radio Dying?
Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #73532] Tue, 07 August 2012 13:25 Go to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
With the advent of programs like Pandora and the ease of plugging phones and mp3 players into cars, do you think traditional radio become a thing of the past?
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #73580 is a reply to message #73532] Mon, 13 August 2012 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, I don't think traditional radio will die any time soon. People still enjoy the DJs, for instance, so I think they will tune in just for that. Many people still don't use Pandora or have cars with mp3 jacks either.
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #73623 is a reply to message #73532] Mon, 20 August 2012 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockhaven is currently offline  Rockhaven
Chancellor
I think that radio definitely still has a presence in society, I just think that the music that floods the stations are not unique and are far from innovative.
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #73673 is a reply to message #73532] Sat, 25 August 2012 21:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I think traditional radio will continue to decline in popularity, but I doubt it will ever completely disappear. I know people who like to call and enter radio contests. I think unique features like that will help radio stations survive for a while.
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #73910 is a reply to message #73623] Sat, 22 September 2012 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Rockhaven wrote on Mon, 20 August 2012 15:05
I think that radio definitely still has a presence in society, I just think that the music that floods the stations are not unique and are far from innovative.

Yes, I wish that music on the radio had a little more variety as well. While there are still some great songs that are played, so many sound the same.
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #74277 is a reply to message #73532] Sat, 27 October 2012 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Radio is like newspapers in my opinion. They're forms of media that have declined but will probably never die out completely. There will always be a market for them regardless of whether people treat them like nostalgic relics or not.
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #74282 is a reply to message #74277] Sat, 27 October 2012 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I agree it will probably last a long time, but for me especially when traveling XM satellite is king. Few "commercials" except for themselves on the hour and it doesn't fade out except in places like tunnels. Not free though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #76382 is a reply to message #73532] Fri, 19 April 2013 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Mother is currently offline  The Mother
Baron
I don't believe that local radio stations will ever completely die out. They may no longer be where we go to get the latest music but there are still plenty of reasons to listen to a local station, especially if you live in a small town. XM and the other "biggies" aren't interested in letting you know what is going on in rural areas.

If at first you don't succeed, go back and do it the way Mother told you to.
Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #76385 is a reply to message #76382] Fri, 19 April 2013 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I listen to broadcast radio or streamed audio stations for one of two reasons: current local news or convenience. It's fine for me to listen to music on the radio as background material, in the car, while working, whatever. But the quality isn't as good as better media, records, tapes, BluRay and CDs, and high-res computer files. Airwave radio lacks bandwidth and is compressed and streaming audio is compressed even more. So the quality isn't there, but it's fine for casual listening.

Re: Is Traditional Radio Dying? [message #76463 is a reply to message #73532] Tue, 23 April 2013 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Traditional radio is kind of like newspapers. They're slowly declining but they will always have at least a "niche" interest with the public. It's good though, we need those bits of "living history" as it were.
Previous Topic: Spotify Radiio
Next Topic: Bad Reception Spots
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 06:24:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout