Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Used Instruments
Used Instruments [message #73524] Tue, 07 August 2012 07:57 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Do you ever buy used musical instruments? I know plenty of people buy them for their kids, but I don't believe I've met a musician who buys them used.
Re: Used Instruments [message #73550 is a reply to message #73524] Thu, 09 August 2012 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sonicsound is currently offline  Sonicsound
Baron
I have not bought a used instrument before, and I don't think I would unless I knew the former artist personally. I think that instruments are very personal to the owners, and it would be better to just purchase a new one rather than an old one.
Re: Used Instruments [message #73651 is a reply to message #73524] Fri, 24 August 2012 17:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
What kind of insturment are you looking at?

I know musicians that have bought used insturments, maninly guitars so I might be able to give a little advise, and what to look out for.
Re: Used Instruments [message #73678 is a reply to message #73524] Sun, 26 August 2012 19:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I know people who have bought used instruments, I don't really think it's that uncommon. Personally I never have, but I'd be open to the idea. I'd bring a friend who is very knowledgeable to be safe though. For those with enough experience, I think used is sometimes a good way to go.
Re: Used Instruments [message #73692 is a reply to message #73678] Tue, 28 August 2012 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I've always preferred buying used stringed instruments, except when looking for something very specific, unique, and "just exactly the way I want it," in which case buying new is usually the only way to get it. The reason I prefer used stringed instruments is because the wood has had the opportunity to settle in and do what it's gonna do. A brand new electric guitar's neck will frequently require a truss rod adjustment after the first seasonal change. Usually, a quality guitar stabilizes after one or two adjustments, and will typically then remain that way for years, unless extensively exposed to extremes of heat, cold, and humidity.

But, the relatively small inconvenience of a truss rod adjustment and perhaps some minor action adjustments is not what I'm referring to here. Necks can also warp, hook, or twist, which can't be adjusted out. These problems don't rear their head while the guitar is hanging in the music store; they usually only happen after the guitar has been played, handled, and moved around extensively for a period of time. So now, to add insult to injury, the "surprise" you got when the wood freaked out came after you'd shelled out the 100% full new price for the instrument. Murphy's Law dictates that this always happens just after the guitar is out of warranty, that is, if it actually had one in the first place. The necessary repairs are often worth more than what the guitar is worth, unless it's an expensive, hi-end model. Of course, you don't see this as often on hi-end guitars as on cheaper ones, because the wood is usually of better quality and has been properly dried and seasoned. But, it still happens. I have a friend who has a Les Paul Custom with a warped neck, that a buddy of ours straightens in his neck press about every two season changes.

I especially counsel others to buy used when seeking an instrument for their kids to learn to play on, and always help them look for the best instrument that fits their particular budget. All the above applies here, plus the fact that you get a better quality instrument for a given amount of money when buying a used one versus new, full price. The better the guitar, the better it'll sound, and the better it'll play after a quality setup has been done. And, the better it plays and sounds, the more likely your kid is to stick with it.

Of course, you have to know what to look for when buying used, or you risk getting into other problems. Worn frets, bad fret surfacing or replacement jobs, worn or damaged tuning machines, cracks in the finish on the neck joint of set-neck guitars, and stripped screw holes on bridges, tailpieces, and locking nuts are some of the major things you wanna look for. On acoustic guitars, look for cracks, anything that's separating or coming apart, humped/pulled-up soundboards, and (especially) make sure the neck joint angle is OK and hasn't went sour. As indicated in the last post, it's very wise to bring a knowledgeable friend with you, if at all possible.

Thermionic

Re: Used Instruments [message #73839 is a reply to message #73524] Mon, 17 September 2012 08:22 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for all the information! My nephew is thinking about learning the saxophone and my brother wants to buy a used one. Since he's just a kid, I can see why he wants to go for a used instrument at this time, but it occurred to me that most professionals I know prefer new instruments. However, I do see Thermionic's point regarding wood settling.
Previous Topic: Design of Guitar Amp
Next Topic: Trumpet Tone
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 06:07:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout