Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » A month away
Re: A month away [message #73582 is a reply to message #73581] Mon, 13 August 2012 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
blacklabel0730 is currently offline  blacklabel0730
Chancellor
Yes, I pulled out all of the components and I start staining today. The speakers are made out of MDF as called for by Wayne's design. The plywood you see is for extra support because the Woofers and Horns are recessed to lay flush against the speaker.

You are also correct on the system. 4pi's with upgraded compression driver and woofer. Dual 3pi subs (Although I will not be able to flank the subs due to space issues and will need to use the subs as stands, no other option) and 2pi's in the rear.

I am running dual mono blocks from emotiva and an xpa-5 for my surround (three more channels if I ever decide on 7.2)

http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa1
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa5

I decided to NOT make the subs passive. I bought 500 watt plate amps for the subs (due to space reasons).
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-752

I am running emotiva's pre-amp UMC-1
http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/umc1

and everything is playing through my desktop computer with an upgraded sound card.
http://www.asus.com/Multimedia/Audio_Cards/Xonar_Essence_STX/

I live in a condo in North-Side Chicago. Let's hope I do not get evicted after this system is completed. When everything is done I will post pictures and video. I am very excited to hear how this is going to sound. I have never heard any pi speakers and am just going off the idea that Wayne's brillant mind created some amazing speakers.
Re: A month away [message #73583 is a reply to message #73559] Mon, 13 August 2012 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
roberts4152
Esquire
Thanks much - looking good so far! Hope you enjoy them.
Re: A month away [message #73584 is a reply to message #73583] Mon, 13 August 2012 16:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
these look great!
I also live in Chicago area and working on a 4Pi project. It would be interesting to get together one day to compare the notes.
Re: A month away [message #73585 is a reply to message #73584] Tue, 14 August 2012 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
I am down I would love to compared notes and talk music with someone. I am only 27 and when I go into high end audio stores I can't even get the time of day (so annoying). What suburb do you live in?
Re: A month away [message #73586 is a reply to message #73585] Tue, 14 August 2012 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mantha3 is currently offline  mantha3
Viscount
Yup, that will be an unreal system for sure. Lots of wattage! Be careful with the volume knob when this is all hooked up!

One thing I have that you may think about.

I have Cable TV with a Digital package. I've had dish too. The converter boxes suck (IMHO). I got a Decware ZSTAGE for about $600 that you can buy with a balanced attenuator. This works as a buffer to help push the signal from the weak converter and you have a little boost should you want to get a bit stronger signal by using the attenuator. The ZSTAGE runs a 12au7 tube. This is basically the type of output stage you wish they had in these boxes. You might like the tube up front on the way into the system to warm things up... Or not.

Just a thought as you have everything you need.

Keep us posted on what you think in the end.
Re: A month away [message #73589 is a reply to message #73585] Tue, 14 August 2012 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zheka is currently offline  zheka
Viscount
blacklabel0730 wrote on Tue, 14 August 2012 06:15
I am down I would love to compared notes and talk music with someone. I am only 27 and when I go into high end audio stores I can't even get the time of day (so annoying). What suburb do you live in?

I am in Northbrook.

I agree that most high end audio stores suck. There is one happy exception I know of, and it's not far from where you are - Van L Speakerworks. It is a small store front on Western Avenue just south of Peterson on the north side.

http://www.vanlspeakerworks.com/contact.htm

John, the owner, is an amazing guy, not pretentious at all. The speakers he builds are actually pretty good IMHO though there is a lot of competition at the price range.

When I first met him I just moved here and could hardly speak any English (not that it changed much, but nevertheless ). Even though it was obvious I am not in a position to buy anything, he would let me spend hours listening to music in his showroom.
Re: A month away [message #73604 is a reply to message #73405] Fri, 17 August 2012 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
index.php?t=getfile&id=836&private=0Here are the stands for the speakers (made from solid white oak). I liked Wayne's stands so I just copied the design.
  • Attachment: IMG_0137.jpg
    (Size: 186.13KB, Downloaded 5016 times)
Re: A month away [message #73605 is a reply to message #73405] Fri, 17 August 2012 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

I know that you can't paint the insulation but I do not like how the insulation shows in the ports of the 4pi's (right speaker in the picture attached). My question is could I buy grill cloth (http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=260-335) and just attach it to the back the air port before I install the insulation?

index.php?t=getfile&id=837&private=0
Re: A month away [message #73607 is a reply to message #73605] Fri, 17 August 2012 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi fellow Chicagoans,

Don't cover the port. You may get screwed up response. Just shoot a bit (not a lot) of flat black paint into the port instead.

Steve
Re: A month away [message #73609 is a reply to message #73607] Fri, 17 August 2012 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Agreed. I've done that on some speakers with dark wood, where the contrast was really stark. On those four π's in the photo, the color of the insulation looks pretty good to me, but I think the flash from the camera lit it up just right to make the contrast seem more striking. In normal lighting, the port is deep enough no direct light reaches the insulation so it appears much darker.

Previous Topic: 7 pi plans
Next Topic: 1 and 2 Pi Plans
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:15:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout