Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Guitar Amp (What would be the best type of amp to get for my guitar?)
Guitar Amp [message #73350] Sat, 21 July 2012 12:08 Go to next message
Sonicsound is currently offline  Sonicsound
Baron
I have a Fender Squire Strat that I got some time ago as a gift. It also came with a teenie weenie puny amplifier that I am not too particularly fond of. Does anyone here have any suggestions on the type of amplifier I should get for my guitar?
Re: Guitar Amp [message #73352 is a reply to message #73350] Sat, 21 July 2012 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I always loved the Fender Twin Reverb. But I'm not a guitarist - I'm a keyboard player. It's just that amp was used by a couple of my guitarist freinds and I always thought it was cool.

Re: Guitar Amp [message #73369 is a reply to message #73352] Mon, 23 July 2012 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Oh yes! I've seen that before, but the price is insane! Sadly on my student and artistic budget, it may take me forever to get something like that. Any suggestions involving something a little cheaper?
Re: Guitar Amp [message #73382 is a reply to message #73350] Wed, 25 July 2012 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
Which amp do you have now and what don't you like about it? Do you plan to play in clubs or just at your house? What is your budget?
Re: Guitar Amp [message #73452 is a reply to message #73382] Thu, 02 August 2012 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockhaven is currently offline  Rockhaven
Chancellor
I agree with chicken in that the key here is being knowing where you are going to play. There is no point in buying a 200$ amp if you're just going to play at home all the time.
Re: Guitar Amp [message #73453 is a reply to message #73350] Thu, 02 August 2012 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Well, a group of friends and I were planning on getting together as a band again. Though we haven't quite played at any clubs or the like, it is still a goal of ours for the future. Hence why I am looking for another amplifier.
Re: Guitar Amp [message #73653 is a reply to message #73350] Fri, 24 August 2012 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Fender Twin Reverb's are a great amp. Depending on your music style, a Marshall half stack will get you by too.

Re: Guitar Amp [message #74176 is a reply to message #73653] Fri, 19 October 2012 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisR is currently offline  chrisR
Baron
Both those setups are insanely loud. I guess that means I'm getting too old for this, but no 100W, 4x12 or 2x12 setup is *needed* to play a club, nor overdrive a stereo, nor keep up with friends unless they also like big amps cranked up. There are lots of 15W-30W amps hooked to efficient speakers that would do just fine. Which one is a matter taste and music style.
Re: Guitar Amp [message #74458 is a reply to message #74176] Mon, 12 November 2012 21:54 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
What kind of music do you play? That will tell us a little about what amp to recommend. Are you going to be mic'ing your amps and running through the PA system of wherever you are playing, or are you going to be using the amp's speaker cab as the sole sound source? Are you going to be playing in your bedroom 95% of the time or do you have a dedicated practice space where you can turn up and let loose all the time? Do you like to use pedals for distortion, or do you want to rely on the amps distortion? That info and your budget will give me a little info to suggest what amps you might like to look at.

As a side note: what guitarists sound do you like or would like to "emulate". Obviously you can't/won't sound like them as a lot of an individuals tone is in the fingers and picking, but it would give us an idea of the sound you'd like to go for.
Previous Topic: Recording Outdoors
Next Topic: Found out what to do with all these 6SN7's I have
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 11:13:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout