Home » xyzzy » Tower » Do you unplug everything?
Do you unplug everything? [message #73320] Wed, 18 July 2012 20:58 Go to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
When you have thunderstorms at home do you unplug all of your electronics or just some of them? We unplug all of the amps, and our new laptop, but I rarely unplug the desktop or anything else. If it is plugged up, but turned off would lightening still be likely to fry it?
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73325 is a reply to message #73320] Wed, 18 July 2012 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I don't unplug everything, but I do unplug the things I can't afford to replace like laptops, amps, sound equipment, and tv's. I figure it is better to be safe than it is to be sorry!
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73330 is a reply to message #73320] Thu, 19 July 2012 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
LuvMartin wrote on Wed, 18 July 2012 20:58
If it is plugged up, but turned off would lightening still be likely to fry it?

Yes, because a lightning strike generally "runs in" to a home's electrical system on the neutral wire, not the hot wire. Per the National Electrical Code, "the neutral conductor is to be connected directly to each device, and never switched or fused." Even if it were switched, the small gap between the switch contacts isn't much of a challenge for a direct lightning strike on an electrical system.

Add to that the fact that most every electrical device we own these days uses highly static discharge-sensitive semiconductors throughout its circuitry, as well as switchmode power supplies that are much more easily toasted by electrical surges (much less lightning strikes!) than old-school linear power supplies.

Thermionic
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73359 is a reply to message #73330] Sun, 22 July 2012 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I gave up trying to unplug everything. There are so many things on line at all times. I do however have power conditioners on my stereo and workshop (lots of test gear), UPS on both PCs and some other gear. The Utility company has installed lightning protection on the mains and all our utilities are underground. So in my case it lightning hits us.... I'll call the insurance company as I have replacement coverage. I did have a strike when I lived in Maryland. Only damage was a fried antenna wire that went to the attic, a burned out porch light and it "degaussed" an older color tv. Here (Arisona) I had it hit my chain link fence. Only problem there was it fried an electrical switch in my shed.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73365 is a reply to message #73320] Mon, 23 July 2012 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I don't unplug everything, but I do unplug the things that I can't afford to replace. Does having electronics plugged into a power strip do anything to protect them?
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73374 is a reply to message #73365] Mon, 23 July 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Most of the power strips advertised as having surge protection do offer a small modicum of protection, but definitely won't cover you in the case of a very close strike. Even the very expensive ones aren't foolproof, though some manufacturers do offer free replacement of damaged equipment plugged into them, up to a certain dollar amount. Of course, that's not as easy as it sounds! First, you must have properly registered the surge protector with them when you initially bought it. You must then ship the damaged surge protector and equipment to them for verification of the nature of damage, along with the original sales receipts for said equipment.

Thermionic
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73378 is a reply to message #73374] Tue, 24 July 2012 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
Thanks for the response Thermionic! I actually did not know that they would replace things up to a certain amount, and I don't think I have ever heard of anyone registering their surge protector. Shocked
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73379 is a reply to message #73378] Wed, 25 July 2012 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Master
Yep, I've both owned and seen some that offered the replacement "insurance," especially Belkin's hi-end products (or rather they used to, they might not any more). But, you gotta have all your ducks in a row, unerringly, according to their policies. I can't say I blame 'em, because if you didn't have to have all your original sales receipts and ship the damaged stuff to them, people would be sabotaging things and sending them in to get new ones for free.

Thermionic
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73392 is a reply to message #73320] Thu, 26 July 2012 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I always assumed my surge protectors would prevent damage to my electronics, but apparently I was wrong! Shocked At least unplugging the surge protector cord will be faster than unplugging everything individually.
Re: Do you unplug everything? [message #73394 is a reply to message #73392] Thu, 26 July 2012 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It is a good time to check with your insurance company on the home owners or renters policy coverage. You do have some right? Shocked Most policies will cover lightning damage to equipment up to various limits.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: My Helpers
Next Topic: Happy Thanksgiving to All
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:26:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers