Home » Audio » Speaker » Reusing Speaker boxes!!!
icon5.gif  Reusing Speaker boxes!!! [message #73303] Mon, 16 July 2012 15:09 Go to next message
GFOviedo is currently offline  GFOviedo
Esquire
I currently own a HT-S9100THX 7.1 HTIB system. It sounds okay for what it is, but my awesome 3 year old son decided to poke the center channel, and right front speaker. He also spilled some soda (Coke to be specific) to the right front speaker.

I ended up replacing the center channel with a Klipch Synergy C1. I re-used one of the speakers that was still good from the center channel, and put it in the right front speaker, but the center channel speaker was damaged a little bit, and it sounds awful whenever it sounds a big loud or with a lot of base.

Therefore, I was wondering if there is a possibility to use different speakers with the same box. I went to several car audio places, Best Buy, and Lee's Stereo / Home Theater system, but they didn't have anything to help me.

The part # for the speaker is SKF-960. I found about this place via AVS Forum. Thanks for any suggestion. I will get some dimensions when I get home and take some pictures of the boxes. Thanks.

If you cannot understand my silence, you will not understand my words!!!
Re: Reusing Speaker boxes!!! [message #73304 is a reply to message #73303] Mon, 16 July 2012 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can use different drivers, but there is almost never a drop-in replacement part that gives the same results. That doesn't necessarily mean the replacement part you choose is of lesser quality, it could be much better and still not give the same results. The reason is each model driver has different characteristics that interact together with the other parts in the system. So the bottom line is unless you are prepared to do some design work, it is probably better that you stick with stock replacement parts.

Re: Reusing Speaker boxes!!! [message #73305 is a reply to message #73304] Mon, 16 July 2012 18:33 Go to previous message
GFOviedo is currently offline  GFOviedo
Esquire
Well, I will tried contacting some of Onkyo's repair shops, and they do not sell any parts. They only do warranty work.

I've email onkyo, but I have not received a response yet. I will try giving them a call.

If you cannot understand my silence, you will not understand my words!!!
Previous Topic: New Project - The DR912a Line Arrays
Next Topic: iFish and iDog
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:33:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout