Home » xyzzy » Tower » Ransom Ware
Re: Ransom Ware [message #73345 is a reply to message #73336] Sat, 21 July 2012 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm with you there, Bruce.

I prefer Linux, and develop C/C++ applications that run on Ubuntu (for dev and test) and RedHat linux (for production). The server that runs AudioRoundTable.com is Gentoo.

For personal use, I run Ubuntu on one of my laptops. It is stable and user-friendly. Whenever anyone visits and needs to borrow a computer, that's the one I give them. It's perfect for surfing the web or typing documents (OpenOffice is compatible with Word and Excel).

But, yeah, I still have a few boxes running Windows. All XP or Vista though. Not gonna move off those.

Slightly off-topic, but I don't see many people (certainly no companies) moving to Windows 8. It's basically a device (phone/tablet) operating system put on the desktop.

Re: Ransom Ware [message #73351 is a reply to message #73345] Sat, 21 July 2012 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, I down loaded a copy of "Puppy Linux" today. It was on the web - a security site. It was on how to do on line banking with a live CD of Linux. It does indeed work, but I would need to make a second disk with the correct settings for connecting to the web etc. It would be a pain to have to go through all the gyrations every time. I'm not sure how to do that in Linux so it may have to go on the shelf until I get to it. I have two desktops on XP Pro and a laptop with Win 7 (with a VM for XP Pro). No Vistas and no chance for 8. A fix for a problem I don't have.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Ransom Ware [message #73353 is a reply to message #73351] Sat, 21 July 2012 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Check out Ubuntu.

Re: Ransom Ware [message #73357 is a reply to message #73353] Sat, 21 July 2012 20:08 Go to previous message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
I'll likewise cast my vote for Ubuntu; very well thought, stable, fast, and a nice change from Windows. I set up the 'puter I'm using right now as a dual-boot machine with XP and Ubuntu. However, there's the problem Bruce mentioned, of program and driver compatibility. But, that's changing for the better every day.

While on the topic of Linux, most ASUS motherboards these days come with "Express Gate," which is a built-in miniature Linux operating system with an OS X-like GUI. It's up and running in just a couple of seconds after the BIOS splash screen, and you can surf the web, check e-mail, view photos and files on your Windows file system, etc. You can be on the Web in literally 10 seconds after hitting the power button!

To use it, just click your mouse when it comes up. Or, do nothing and in a few seconds (the timer is BIOS-adjustable) it'll shut off and the Windows bootloader will start. I've built many computers with it, and some love it while others want me to turn it off for them. Personally, I think it's pretty cool. As one who doesn't leave their computer on all the time, it's VERY nice for when you wanna look something up really quick, or show a visitor some pics. No more waiting to boot into Windows just to do a small task.

Thermionic

Previous Topic: I hate paint
Next Topic: Restoring CDs/DVDs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 10:07:59 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers