Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Bass Rattling in Vehicle
Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #73252] Wed, 11 July 2012 21:24 Go to next message
Equinom is currently offline  Equinom
Viscount
I am not completely sure if this is the appropriate place for this post or not. However, I am in need of some advice.

Recently I noticed that the bass in our vehicle will make a rattling type noise if the volume is turned up too loud. What is causing this & how can I fix it?
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #73655 is a reply to message #73252] Fri, 24 August 2012 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It's called resonance, where panels will start vibratng. Supposedly they make some sort of stick on insultors that help stop some of the resonences, but I'm not a heavy duty car audio expert either. I just know the car's sound like shit when they cruise by my house Mad Mad
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #73945 is a reply to message #73252] Tue, 25 September 2012 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is one of the major issues I have with car audio. It seems that everyone I've ever ridden with thinks that rattling sounds good. Rolling Eyes
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #73989 is a reply to message #73945] Fri, 28 September 2012 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nymeria wrote on Tue, 25 September 2012 08:11
This is one of the major issues I have with car audio. It seems that everyone I've ever ridden with thinks that rattling sounds good. Rolling Eyes

Yes! This has been my complaint as well.

Equinom, you can purchase sound deadening material designed specifically for car audio. Installing it requires you to remove interior panels, so you'll need to be comfortable doing that or paying someone to do so.
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #74465 is a reply to message #73252] Tue, 13 November 2012 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VoigtClub is currently offline  VoigtClub
Chancellor
Yup, resonance. At those lowest "felt not heard" frequencies the pressure in the vehicle is yanking and popping the thin metal walls of the car 18-25 times a second.

The main product line for combatting panel resonance is called Dynamat, which is a tar-based tile that adhere's to the inner car body and dampens it through both mass and viscous resistance.

If only every DIY installer understood that your car isn't supposted to fart and installed some dynamat, I'd be much happier about those bass-head idiots cruising by. Razz
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #74525 is a reply to message #74465] Wed, 21 November 2012 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
VoigtClub wrote on Tue, 13 November 2012 17:32

If only every DIY installer understood that your car isn't supposted to fart and installed some dynamat, I'd be much happier about those bass-head idiots cruising by. Razz

Haha! It's good to know I'm not the only one who gets irritated. That rattling sound really sets my teeth on edge. I can't understand why so many people apparently like it.
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #74950 is a reply to message #73252] Sat, 15 December 2012 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
srdmind is currently offline  srdmind
Chancellor
It's not necessarily resonance. If the speakers have a higher wattage rating than your amp, this will happen no matter how well you shield your speakers and wiring.
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #74953 is a reply to message #74950] Sat, 15 December 2012 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

No, it has nothing to do with the "wattage rating" of your speakers or your amp. It has to do with the amount of acoustic energy and the structural integrity of the car.

Bill's right, at certain frequencies, it takes less power input to create a particular kinetic power level. At those frequencies, the structure (or part of the structure) vibrates strongly with relatively little energy input. That's where the car is most vulnerable.

Personally, I find it annoying. Cars are just a couple cubic meters, so it doesn't take much power to bring them to insane SPL inside the car. But when it makes all the panels vibrate and rub against each other, they sound like shit. So what's the point?

Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #77585 is a reply to message #74953] Fri, 23 August 2013 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
For the people who do it, the point is to get noticed. They don't seem to care that it's annoying. They want to upgrade for the sake of it.
Re: Bass Rattling in Vehicle [message #77979 is a reply to message #77585] Mon, 30 September 2013 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Fannie is currently offline  Fannie
Chancellor
I have to agree, Azuri. In my neighborhood there seem to be a lot of people bent on being noticed. The more annoying they can be the more they seem to like it.
Previous Topic: Where Can I Buy A T-Amp?
Next Topic: Battery Operated Preamps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:29:32 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout