Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » How to setup multiple subs
How to setup multiple subs [message #73247] Wed, 11 July 2012 17:00 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
Wayne Parham says that up to four subwoofers adds a smooth bass sound field that is much better than one.

Here is my question: I have a Pioneer receiver that uses a mike to calculate the distance between the listener and all the speakers. By doing that it adds or subtracts delay so that all the sound reaches the listener at the same time.

Trouble is, that the receiver assumes there is only one sub. I think two subs might really confuse it, and two in back would definitely throw things out of wack.

So, how should I manually set these subs up? The mike measures the distance down to the inch, but I see no way to manually change delay in the subs.

Floyd

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: How to setup multiple subs [message #73248 is a reply to message #73247] Wed, 11 July 2012 18:21 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Do not use the automatic setting on the receiver. As you have guessed, it will only become confused. What we're looking for is blending, not a single point source (since that's not possible indoors anyway).

The best thing is to setup two subs as flanking subs, each slightly beside, below and behind the speaker it is flanking. Then put the other two on the other side of the room. With four subs, it doesn't really matter where you put the other two. I'd probably put them in opposite corners.

Previous Topic: Help with placement of subs with Three Pis
Next Topic: Music system for an apartment building
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:22:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout