Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Drednought 6 or Cutaway?
Drednought 6 or Cutaway? [message #73243] Tue, 10 July 2012 07:48 Go to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
For those who play acoustic guitars, do you prefer the standard Drednought 6 or do you like the cutaway? I've never played a cutaway but it is supposed to make it easier to reach the highest frets.
Re: Drednought 6 or Cutaway? [message #73249 is a reply to message #73243] Wed, 11 July 2012 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
The cutaway definitely makes it easier to reach the highest frets, no doubt about that. That is, of course, if your particular style of music mandates that access to the highest frets. If it's set up with low action and light gauge strings, you can really tear it up above the 12th fret.

Do note, cutaways sound slightly different from non-cutaway dreadnoughts. Because the cutaway is at the front of the soundbox and just below the soundhole, it does affect the tone somewhat. All other things being equal, a cutaway guitar will have a bit less bass, volume and projection, and the overall tonal character will be peaked in the midrange/upper midrange region. If you're amplifying your acoustic guitar when playing live, this can be a blessing as it reduces the tendency for feedback, and also requires less EQ'ing to cut through the mix.

Also, getting a great recorded sound is sometimes easier with a cutaway than a full-body dreadnought, especially if said dreadnought is a Martin or other guitar with full, deep bass. No doubt about it, the 'nought's superior tonal balance, volume, projection and bass response sound great when playing in a live acoustic setting. But, the fuller bass makes it more finicky about mic type, mic technique and EQ in the studio. Do it wrong, and you'll get a very boomy, "boxy" sound, especially on loudly strummed open chords.

Myself, I most always use a dreadnought for unamplified, all-acoustic live jams, but will use my cutaways for amplified live playing. I'll use either when recording, depending on the particular tone I'm after at the time.

Thermionic
Re: Drednought 6 or Cutaway? [message #73368 is a reply to message #73243] Mon, 23 July 2012 09:28 Go to previous message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thermionic, thanks for all the information on the cutaway vs. the non-cutaway. I know what you mean about getting a boxy sound while recording the non-cutaway; I've had to tweak to avoid that before.
Previous Topic: Crazy Panning
Next Topic: Design of Guitar Amp
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 07:24:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout