Home » Sponsored » OddWatt Audio » Mini mono blocks
Mini mono blocks [message #73209] Thu, 05 July 2012 22:50 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, A sort of interest survey. Both as a diy project and commercial kits. I'm finalizing a design for mini mono blocks using EL84s much like half a Poddwatt. The initial design is really going to be cute, but these will be top performers. Similar power output (about 5 watts RMS each) and having an input level control that can be defeated. They could be used as monaural amplifiers. EL84s in push-pull ultra linear class A with an ECC803S driver (SRPP like in the Poddwatt).

What you all think, any interest in this?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Mini mono blocks [message #73212 is a reply to message #73209] Thu, 05 July 2012 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oooh, sounds like a great entry level kit. Personally, I think this is an important price point for kit offerings. Sure, we want higher-end stuff too, but the entry level gear is lacking, in my opinion, and you could bring a quality option for this market position.

Re: Mini mono blocks [message #73747 is a reply to message #73212] Tue, 04 September 2012 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone. I have a pair now of prototype mini-blocks. They are actually an upgraded version of the Poddwatt (that is about to go into series II). Sam power transformer as the Poddwatt in the prototypes and the newly designed Edcor output trannies. Lots of audio grade caps (Jantzen)in the PS. Regulated B+ on the SRPP driver, regulated heater reference voltage. Output is 5.8 watts each and response (flat to below 10HZ and out to 50K), S/N (88-90 dbw) and distortion (below 0.25% at 1 watt)are excellent. I would guess they are about 6 months before initial sales. No price yet as we are still sourcing parts.

index.php?t=getfile&id=853&private=0
Prototype of Mini-Mono Block

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Mini mono blocks [message #73748 is a reply to message #73747] Wed, 05 September 2012 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, man, Bruce, the specs sound great. Chassis looks great too. Your usual excellence, just wonderful.

I realize you're still pricing, but do you have a ballpark in mind?

Re: Mini mono blocks [message #73749 is a reply to message #73748] Wed, 05 September 2012 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, thanks for the kind remarks. Based on what everything presently costs and the upgrades..... probably about $400 per kit and if it becomes an assembled item figure about $100 ish more. These are giant killer amps.... my OB120s are gathering dust at the moment.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Mini mono blocks [message #73750 is a reply to message #73749] Wed, 05 September 2012 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's amazing. Whenever they're ready, I'll have to get a couple kits. I've been meaning to jump in, but have some many irons in the fire that I haven't. But sometimes you just gotta jump. So count me in for a couple when they're ready.

Re: Mini mono blocks [message #74026 is a reply to message #73750] Wed, 03 October 2012 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockdrummer is currently offline  rockdrummer
Esquire
I'm very interested. I was eventually planning on the Poddwatt. But always drifting towards monoblocks and the possible mini monos sound like a great way for me to get both. I plan on using them with GR research speakers that are rated at 97db efficiency. I know the 5 watts will be enough for them.

I like everything down to the layout. I prefer a narrow chassis because of where they will sit in my room!

I see they are looking to be available around Feb-March according to earlier posts. Can't wait.

I need to familiarize myself with what the specs mean. I don't really know what distortion means for me.

Flat to 10 hz? holy crap! Is that normal?

Thanks for the info guys. I check up on oddwatt audio's website regularly. Will there be a tease up shortly? Or do you plan to wait until you can ship?

Ben
Re: Mini mono blocks [message #74029 is a reply to message #74026] Wed, 03 October 2012 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, These little amps are IMHO one of the best things I have ever cooked up. The project on building your own was just posted this week on diyaudioprojects.com

The response figures is typical of all the Oddwatts. I take special care to be sure they go past both ends of the audio band. I have a number of things I want out of each design (power amp, preamp, phono stage etc) Low noise, I want -90db all the time. Wide bandwidth 10HZ to 25K typically although several go way past that on the top end. Low distortion, 1% or less at typical use levels and 2% max at whatever I rate the full power - even if it can do more. Simplicity whenever possible, no frills, no extra complications. Low or no negative feedback. Low cost to duplicate when possible as well although this is not always possible as I use whatever components I feel do the job the best. Not always the most costly. A good example is the use of solid state power supplies. I can make them really clean and they are IMHO more cost effective than tube PS.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Mini mono blocks [message #74032 is a reply to message #74029] Wed, 03 October 2012 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rockdrummer is currently offline  rockdrummer
Esquire
Awesome little performer, I see.

Thanks so much for the information. I won't be able to tackle anything that isn't a Kit. I'm so new and not ready to completely build my own. Although I would like to someday. Thats very far down the road though.

Maybe I will get it worked out to get the oddblocks. I would love some monos.

Ben
Re: Mini mono blocks [message #74529 is a reply to message #74032] Wed, 21 November 2012 21:41 Go to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, An update. Initially the minis will be delayed.. Sad .. but a dual mono version of the Poddwatt is coming Smile . Two of everything on a single chassis. The channels will share a power switch, input selector switch and dual gang volume control. Otherwise they will be complete separate amps (including power transformers). Identical performance to the minis is expected. Chassis and PCB are now being fabricated and the major components for the initial batch are enroute. Not likely in time for Christmas, but a good bet for early spring.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Oddwatt KT120 Mono Blocks
Next Topic: Oddwatt Audio and VC Audio Labs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 05:11:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers