Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Help with placement of subs with Three Pis
Help with placement of subs with Three Pis [message #73198] Tue, 03 July 2012 14:49 Go to next message
FloydV is currently offline  FloydV
Master
index.php?t=getfile&id=808&private=0I have two three pi speakers as my left and right speakers. Each requires a flanking subwoofer that rolls off at 110 Hz.

This would be a question for Wayne, but anyone's help would be appreciated, since I wire a new house tomorrow.

The question is, is it better to have the flanking subs on the inside of the Threes or on the outside. I'm attaching one of my crude drawings. Do I want the subs in position A or B?

Thanks,

Floyd

PS: Why I used here twice and hear twice eludes me.

He who joyfully marches to music rank and file, has already earned my contempt. -- Albert Einstein
Re: Help with placement of subs with Three Pis [message #73199 is a reply to message #73198] Tue, 03 July 2012 16:04 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Either position A or B would work, but I would prefer A. That position will do a better job of smoothing the reflection off the back wall than the side walls. But this is truly minutia, because if your speakers are positioned tightly in the corners, neither back or side wall reflections will be severe.

When a 90° CD/waveguide speaker is placed very near the apex of the room corner, adjacent walls are acoustically close at low frequencies, so they act more like a constraint boundary than a reflector. And at higher frequencies, the tweeter is directional enough that the energy directed at the walls is reduced at least -6dB, which in turn, reduces the amplitude of any reflections. The angle of incidence helps too, since the reflections from this position don't reach the listener without multiple bounces, truly defining the reverberent field.
Previous Topic: Alcoves
Next Topic: How to setup multiple subs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:00:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout