Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » 4pi Dinner Theater Update
Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #73835 is a reply to message #73175] Sun, 16 September 2012 19:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount
I might have asked this question before, but I cannot find nor remember the answer. Aesthetically, the twelve 1pi surround speakers will look better installed horizontally rather than vertically. Is there any issues with them being installed this way? If not, should I install them with the tweeter toward the screen, or the woofer toward the screen?

Any thoughts on how to acoustically treat this space in light of the fairly "open ceiling" concept employed in which the rafters are largely exposed with very thick open cell spray foam (painted black)? In case it should matter, the floor will be 3/4" acacia hardwood flooring.
Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #73836 is a reply to message #73835] Mon, 17 September 2012 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Definitely do not install the speaker laying on its side, with the tweeter and woofer arrayed horizontally. When the speaker is upright, off-axis response is much better with movement along the horizontal axis, and it stays pretty uniform as the listeners move horizontally.

Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #73846 is a reply to message #73175] Mon, 17 September 2012 20:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCDC is currently offline  JCDC
Baron
To visualize what Wayne is saying, check out the 4 Pi measurements (principle applies to all two ways):

http://www.pispeakers.com/Measurements/fourPi.html

The 4th and 3rd last graphs are horizontal measurements (mmmm, smooth.)

The 2nd last and last graph are vertical measurements (valley!)
This is an interference notch.

Keep them drivers aligned vertically!

Cheers,
Jeff
Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #73847 is a reply to message #73175] Mon, 17 September 2012 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
My last post started a new page. I posted some updated images of the space on the previous page in which the three 4pi and twelve 1pi speakers will be connected. I am curious if anyone has an opinion about how acoustics will be affected by this space, and what things I should consider in its regard.
Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #73848 is a reply to message #73847] Tue, 18 September 2012 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It's hard to say just by looking. But there are a few generalizations that I think may apply to you.

One is the larger the room, the smoother it is. Room modes get shifted down below the passband (and so don't exist) at some point. And reflections are further away, so they're more attenuated.

Another is slanted or gabled ceilings tend to increase ceiling slap, since they direct it like a parabolic reflector. That and hard floors can be a killer, so limited verticals are your friend. Then again, once the ceiling is high enough, it stops being a problem. Or if it is well damped, that helps too.

One quick and easy test is to clap your hands in the room. This creates a pretty good "signal" to tell you what to expect from the room. If the sound is primarily just the direct sound from your hand slap, with maybe a little bit of ambience, your room is probably going to sound pretty good. If it sound too lively, sort of a ringing like tinnitus, the sound you hear in your ears after a loud concert, then the room needs more absorbent material. On the other hand, it can be too dead. If you hear nothing at all from the room, no reflections, just the initial clap that sounds more like a thud without much "slap", then the room may be so absorbent that it sounds somewhat dead.

Walk around the room giving a sharp clap from time to time and listen to the room decay. It may be different in different places in the room, especially with a gabled ceiling. That will give you a quick feel for room acoustics.

Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #76256 is a reply to message #73848] Tue, 09 April 2013 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I just thought I would offer an update on our dinner theater. We finally got everything all trimmed out. For those of you who might have forgotten, we utilized three upgraded 4pis flush-mounted in a baffle wall behind a 182" AT screen. Twelve 1pis were used for the surround sound in our 7.2 setup that also uses four DIY F20 folded horn subs integrated into the baffle wall (you can see the ports at the bottom of the image).

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/58799_4613087686156_1292189361_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/67385_498651736837045_348470315_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/481365_498652333503652_934754336_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/484838_498651783503707_1005091927_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/600240_498651703503715_1798677913_n.jpg
Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #76258 is a reply to message #76256] Tue, 09 April 2013 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Oh, wow, that's looks so great. Very intimate, very nice. I simply must make a trip out there sometime and stay a while, visit your theater a few times and have dinner!

How do you feel everything turned out? Are you pleased with the quality? Are your customers impressed? Sure looks like they must be!

Re: 4pi Dinner Theater Update [message #76259 is a reply to message #76258] Tue, 09 April 2013 23:26 Go to previous message
Viscount
Everything sounds great. It is all very articulate, but I have not really had the chance to "calibrate" anything yet. It will certainly go much louder than anyone could withstand, and I can produce clear bass that will knock the building off its foundation. I sometimes wonder if I might have been able to produce similar sound for less money, but I have never wondered if I could have had better sound for the same money (if that makes any sense). As is with anything, one always tries to find the dollar amount that will make 95% of the public happy. Satisfying the other 5% usually costs two or three times as much money. At the end of the day, I know our space satisfies 100%. The 1pis were definitely a money savings over all of the alternatives I considered. The DIY subs were a bargain and FAR cheaper than buying a finished product at retail. I know they are not of your Pi design, but lilmike's F20 from the avsforum.com really do deliver. I could probably have gotten away with only two of them, but they were cheap to build ($350/ea) and are also semi-permanent integrated furniture. I would rather run four of them at less power than two of them at higher power. Peace of mind that I will not blow a driver lets me sleep at night. The 4pi speakers were costly at about $850/each, but at the end of the day I do not regret splurging on the upgrades. They will be behind that screen for a LONG time.

I am surprised how directional everything is. The amps and receivers are tucked away in a server rack on the stage, and one has to be careful when setting volume and power levels. What you hear off to the side in the corner of the stage is not nearly what you hear when standing in the middle of the ballroom in front of everything. A lot of testing needs to be done in order to create "preset" settings for various scenarios (music vs movies vs television). Each movie is slightly different too. I find myself turning knobs a lot depending on my music or video source.
Previous Topic: Insulation inside of speaker: Spray Foam?
Next Topic: Low Volume Speaker
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:30:23 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout