Home » Audio » Group Build » IR Remote Control
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74504 is a reply to message #74313] Tue, 20 November 2012 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Making some progress, slowly but surely. I'm doing four of these prototypes, and have a lot of other work so I can't do much each week. But I have the boards done, ready to go into the chassis. Next, I'm planning to make a bunch of coax cables to connect the RCA jacks to the boards. Then I'll connect them and the switches and LEDs and mount the boards. I hope to have at least one of them done before Christmas.

index.php?t=getfile&id=920&private=0

index.php?t=getfile&id=921&private=0
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74512 is a reply to message #74504] Tue, 20 November 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, And I thought some of my prototypes looked like spaghetti factories. Laughing

That BTW is why I use a lot of colored wires in prototypes. It is much easier to trace the wires - particularly if something doesn't work right.

have you considered using something like Express PCB to do boards?

Have a great Thanksgiving in any case. Razz

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74520 is a reply to message #74512] Tue, 20 November 2012 20:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Bruce, have you seen Uriah's PCBs?
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74521 is a reply to message #74520] Tue, 20 November 2012 21:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Shane, No. I have not seen them.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74522 is a reply to message #74521] Tue, 20 November 2012 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
They are on his buildanamp.com site.
Re: IR Remote Control [message #74524 is a reply to message #74512] Tue, 20 November 2012 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

These prototypes were sort of a step back in time for me. I used to always make prototypes like this, and that all-red wiring was my signature build style. I've done prototypes that were 50 times more complex, no kidding. One processor/controller I did filled a board twice that size. So this is nothing, four chips and that's it. Just nothing. Kinda wanted to do it that way, just for sentimental sake.

These days, I'd definitely do a small PCB run for protos. Back in the day, it was too expensive to do that. I'd only go to fiberglass once I was doing a run of several hundred at least. But these days, they'll practically give you a short run on the hopes you'll do a long run.

I still have relationships with some of those shops, because I still get boards. I buy lots of crossover boards, for example. I sometimes get the pretty silkscreened boards with plate-through holes, solder mask and silkscreening. Other times, a simple single-sided board without a mask or silkscreen is fine. The crossover boards are the latter.

So but anyway, my IR-remote protos are a labor of love, probably a last hoorah for me on the point-to-point perfboard build style. Just had to do it, one last time.

And, yeah, like Shane said, Uriah had boards made. I did the processor chips for others to develop boards and systems for. I didn't want to go in the amplifier business, 'cause then I'd sort of be in competition with the guys I made the chips for. So this is just a firmware deal, and I'll provide the chips, allowing others to provide the rest.
Re: IR Remote Control [message #75093 is a reply to message #72817] Sun, 30 December 2012 19:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I made a little more progress today. Soldered on all the shielded lines for the RCA connectors. There are five pairs for the inputs, and two pair of switched outputs, one attenuated and one not. The unattenuated line will be used as a pass-through for recorders and the unattenuated line is the output for the amplifier. There are actually two sets of connectors for the attenuated line out, and one for the unattenuated outputs.

index.php?t=getfile&id=965&private=0
Re: IR Remote Control [message #75170 is a reply to message #75093] Sun, 06 January 2013 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

...and now with the backpanel connected:

index.php?t=getfile&id=970&private=0
Re: IR Remote Control [message #75171 is a reply to message #75170] Sun, 06 January 2013 21:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Holy crap, Wayne. What a birds nest of wires Very Happy Looks like the Meier Corda Cross crossfeed I build one time.

I need to get my parts list together and get with you to figure out what I still need and what goes where.
Re: IR Remote Control [message #75173 is a reply to message #75171] Mon, 07 January 2013 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

It does look kinda cluttered with wires, but most of that is input and output connections. The actual "meat" of the circuit is very simple - Just four chips. And two of those are for the display, so really, the whole brains of the system is just two chips. Probably as simple as it gets.

I think yours will be nice and clean, using Uriah's printed circuit boards. You'll have to snap a few photos to show the difference a PCB makes. Smile

Previous Topic: Microphone Interface
Next Topic: RIAA preamp project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 14:06:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout