Home » Audio » Group Build » IR Remote Control
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73030 is a reply to message #73029] Sun, 17 June 2012 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
Thank you Wayne and thanks, Bill. I see the numbers do work, I must have typed them into the wrong search field.

Bill, in my setup I will use 12V and dual (+/-) 2.5V circuit which Wayne specified. The Remote Control Module chipset runs on the +/- 2.5, and the relays and LED display chips run on the 12V supply.

I see the relays you have selected run on 12V too.

If you want I can post or email a schematic of what I will do with the PS, but Wayne's suggestion has better regulation. My approach is very basic. I did it this way because I already ordered the transformer before I saw Wayne's suggestion.
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73061 is a reply to message #73030] Wed, 20 June 2012 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Got my DigiKey delivery today. So I think I have everything I need minus the chassis. I'll begin putting together sub assemblies and then I'll figure out how it will fit into the enclosure.

Re: IR Remote Control [message #73063 is a reply to message #73061] Wed, 20 June 2012 19:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'm building some prototypes too. I had intended to just develop the firmware and make the chips available to small amp and DIY kit manufacturers. Was really planning to leave it at that. But after hearing the initial prototype Bruce made around my "Blue" processor - the stereo version - I decided I wanted one of my own. Maybe a proud papa thing, but it's the best "preamp" I've ever owned. I sold all my other preamps, resistor passives, LDR passives, solid state actives and tube actives. Now I just run RDACs for volume control.

Bruce's proto works fine, but I want different displays and case. I also want to use a different power supply. So I bought some Metcase enclosures, perfboards and piece parts from Digikey. Hopefully, I can get them all together in a few weeks. Tough to do with a 5-year-old running around. https://audioroundtable.com/forum/images/smiley_icons/icon_lol.gif

Re: IR Remote Control [message #73065 is a reply to message #73063] Wed, 20 June 2012 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I don't know how you can do all this stuff. Smile
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73081 is a reply to message #73065] Thu, 21 June 2012 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, post photos when it gets done. Perhaps a schematic of the end result as well. Mine was really a "proof of concept" build so I expect yours to be top dog.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73151 is a reply to message #73063] Thu, 28 June 2012 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 20 June 2012 20:12

Maybe a proud papa thing, but it's the best "preamp" I've ever owned. I sold all my other preamps, resistor passives, LDR passives, solid state actives and tube actives. Now I just run RDACs for volume control.

Madness! No tubes? No mechanical switches? The horror!

Somewhere in the correspondence over the build and receiving packages from Digikey I was inspired to get the UPS damaged Aikido off the shelf and do the re-build. I drilled and painted the replacement chassis over 2 years ago and then forgot about it.

Now I just have to wire up the switch and attenuator and it's done. Then, with a little help on the power supply and layout from you guys, I'll do the RDAC and have a Rodeo.

index.php?t=getfile&id=805&private=0
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73705 is a reply to message #73151] Thu, 30 August 2012 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've been meaning to post for months now (literally). But I have been completely swamped with orders. My son is soldering all the boards he can, as am I, and we're still running about 4-6 weeks behind filling orders for loudspeakers and kits. So I've just plain-old had no time for hobby projects.

But I decided at the beginning of the summer to build four prototypes, one of the "red" (six-channel) processor and three of the "blue" (two-channel) processors. I'll keep one of the blues and the red, but I'll probably sell the other two blues. I'm putting them in nice Metcase enclosures, which are being punched and etched right now.

index.php?t=getfile&id=844&private=0

The photo above (click to enlarge) shows the prototype perf boards and one of the enclosures. I have only wired up the power supplies, and not the processor or RDAC. I chose a double-regulated supply, which is way overkill, but chips are cheap these days, so I figured it couldn't hurt. I'm using a 12VAC center-tapped transformer, which connects to the three wires you see hanging off the proto boards. This is rectified, then passed to a 7805/7905 to give +/-5VDC, and this is sent to a LM337/LM317 to give +/-2.5VDC. Overkill, but quiet.

I probably should have waited for Uriah to finish his printed circuit boards, because it would have made it easier to build than point-to-point wiring on a perf board. I think he has them in stock now. But I've built plenty of prototypes this way, over the years.

As an aside, I like working with Metcase and Pac-tec enclosures because the front and rear panels are just removable flat panels that are easy to punch, engrave or silkscreen. They're great for prototypes and small production runs, and cost effective even when doing a few thousand units. I've made thousands of "black boxes" like this, mostly communications and control devices.

Re: IR Remote Control [message #73710 is a reply to message #73705] Fri, 31 August 2012 15:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, Did you come up with a display for the units?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: IR Remote Control [message #73712 is a reply to message #73710] Fri, 31 August 2012 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

What I'm going to do is to use an LM3916 driving ten blue LEDs per side.

By the way, Bruce, I wanted to thank you again for building the first prototype using this chipset. I'm still using it in my personal system.

Re: IR Remote Control [message #73716 is a reply to message #72817] Fri, 31 August 2012 21:25 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Wayne, my pleasure on the build. Smile A departure from tubes for a while and a learning experience. I noticed you used the two stage regulators. I believe that was important in the one I built as it made it quite stable and really quiet. The LM3916 is a good choice. They are inexpensive and work well with LEDs. I have one of the LM39XX series that has a built in led bar graph and wish I had more. They are scarce and last time I checked quite costly. I think the original cost was something like $4. Now about 10 times that.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Microphone Interface
Next Topic: RIAA preamp project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:46:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers