Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation
Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation [message #72759] Mon, 21 May 2012 13:45 Go to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
According to this article health care costs have been rising at DOUBLE the rate of inflation. That just seems absolutely astounding to me. I can believe it though. When my wife had our last child they charged $25 for a syringe and that didn't include the medication in it!
Re: Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation [message #72763 is a reply to message #72759] Mon, 21 May 2012 19:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Our local hospital is known far and wide for being one of the worst and most expensive hospitals in existence. Besides the endless horror stories you'll hear from just about everyone who lives here (I know I have several of my own!), this hospital charges FAR more for procedures, services, and room fees than any in the area.

You mentioned the $25 syringe when your wife had the baby. A friend's wife was charged $13 for a single Tylenol, and that was 10 years ago. Nobody in my circle of friends gives birth or has surgeries at this hospital; they all use the hospital in the next county, about 25 miles away. Natural childbirth costs several thousand bucks less and caesareans MANY thousands less, besides an infinitely more competent level of care.

As if the insane prices weren't enough, some have resorted to actual scams. Just a few weeks ago the insurance agent my workplace has our personal health/dental policies through came and held a meeting about this year's regular changes to our insurance. He informed us to be watchful for a new scam that some doctors and hospitals are using to rip people off. If a healthcare provider or facility is in the insurance company's provider network, then they've previously agreed to accept what the insurance company pays as payment in full. However, they're counting on you not knowing that, and send you a bill for the difference between what the insurance has paid and what "their price" is. Unknowing people have sent them the money, which they did NOT owe and does NOT count toward their yearly insurance deductibles.

Thermionic
Re: Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation [message #72765 is a reply to message #72763] Mon, 21 May 2012 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Yes indeed. Worse I have to keep a health plan as my wife would be not be able to get one on her own. So when I retired a year ago and became a genuine card carrying senior old fart.... I was informed by the plan that one of the provisions (in tiny print) was that upon proper age ( Confused ) it was necessary to sign up for medicare part B or forfeit membership in the plan. Guess what? Part B isn't free. It is another 100 a month plus the plan raised the cost 235 more a month. A genuine catch 22. Shocked IMHO the entire health insurance and medical community needs a major revamping.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation [message #72806 is a reply to message #72765] Thu, 24 May 2012 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
Thermionic that information came right on time...I have bills that came yesterday that are trying to do just that! GoFar I absolutely agree with you that the system needs a total overhaul, because it has seriously gotten out of hand.
Re: Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation [message #72809 is a reply to message #72759] Thu, 24 May 2012 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
There was a story on MSN this morning about how workers are not able to afford health care even if their employers offer it. The cost of healthcare in this country is just ridiculous, and most of the doctors don't seem to do anything but push pills on you.
Re: Health care costs rise at Double the rate of inflation [message #72825 is a reply to message #72809] Fri, 25 May 2012 21:52 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
You know that if health care costs go up much more we won't be able to afford to get sick or die....then we will have to live forever Laughing

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Cable Bill
Next Topic: The Zombies are here!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 00:11:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers