Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Book banning
Book banning [message #72668] Thu, 10 May 2012 19:03 Go to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
I don't know if any of you have read any of the Fifty Shades of Grey books yet, but they are all the rage right now. I haven't read them yet either, but I saw a news story today where libraries are banning the books and either not ordering them at all or pulling the copies they already purchased from the shelves. One library had purchased 19 copies and then decided to pull them off their shelves. You would think someone would have read the book before they bought 19 copies!
Re: Book banning [message #72670 is a reply to message #72668] Thu, 10 May 2012 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
That does seem a little odd that they would buy nearly 20 copies of the book, and then change their mind and pull it off the shelves. Personally, I don't think any books should ever be banned. If it's not something you would enjoy then don't read it, but don't restrict others access to it as well.
Re: Book banning [message #72893 is a reply to message #72668] Sat, 02 June 2012 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
Banning books is censorship and to me that is just wrong. I have read all 3 of these books ~ Fifty shades and they were addicting. I purchased them all on my Kindle Fire. They are all the rage - book clubs are reading them all over the place. There really is a great storyline behind all the "erotic scenes".
Re: Book banning [message #72977 is a reply to message #72893] Mon, 11 June 2012 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I haven't read them yet though I am sure I will eventually. I agree that banning books is censorship and goes against freedom of speech. If they wanted to make it where you had to be 18 or something to check them out that would be one thing, but a total ban is ridiculous.
Re: Book banning [message #73206 is a reply to message #72977] Thu, 05 July 2012 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likearecordbaby
Baron
No book should be "banned" in my opinion. That is a violation of personal freedom and a suppression of knowledge and expression. I stopped needing a babysitter several decades ago, thank you!
Re: Book banning [message #73210 is a reply to message #73206] Thu, 05 July 2012 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree that no book or any other sort of work of art should be banned. I expect folks to have the option to decide on their own based on their own personal values whether to read, view or listen to something. Forcing their value set on me gets me really upset. They would not like me forcing my response on them. Embarassed

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Book banning [message #73759 is a reply to message #72668] Thu, 06 September 2012 17:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
They were not banned near me. I read all 3 books of the series and am now waiting to see if they actually make a movie out of them. If you don't like the content, then don't read it. It's that simple. Books should not be banned in the US.

Let's chat!
Re: Book banning [message #74338 is a reply to message #72668] Fri, 02 November 2012 04:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sunflower is currently offline  Sunflower
Chancellor
I expect that someone got offended by the erotic content once the library had stocked the books, so they decided to remove them. What's the betting that the person who complained made sure they read all three before they reported them? Very Happy
Re: Book banning [message #74464 is a reply to message #74338] Tue, 13 November 2012 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sunflower wrote on Fri, 02 November 2012 04:53
I expect that someone got offended by the erotic content once the library had stocked the books, so they decided to remove them. What's the betting that the person who complained made sure they read all three before they reported them? Very Happy

I bet they did! I'm saddened that the library (of all places!) made the books unavailable. I don't think 50 Shades is particularly good, but I disagree strongly with the idea of banning any book.
Re: Book banning [message #74503 is a reply to message #72668] Mon, 19 November 2012 19:26 Go to previous message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
Like the rest of you, I completely disagree with the banning of any books, but for a library to do it seems even worse! I also agree that whomever caused the ruckus about having them removed probably owns a copy of all three!
Previous Topic: Presidential Debate
Next Topic: The NFL replacement officials
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 21:51:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout