Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Looking At NOS EL 34's...!
Re:Many Banthans died to bring us this information: [message #9823 is a reply to message #9822] Fri, 15 September 2006 17:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
That is similar to the ECD model although looking at the photo it's hard to tell how similar. One of the models has a somewhat dimpeled top to it also; I don't know which.
I assume one of the two tube facories left is making all of them but I can't say for certain.

Re:Many Banthans died to bring us this information: [message #9824 is a reply to message #9823] Sat, 16 September 2006 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blooze is currently offline  Blooze
Esquire
I've got a pair of GE Fatbottles NOS. These any good? as I'm hoping to do a SE EL34 someday.

Re: Looking At NOS EL 34's...! [message #9830 is a reply to message #9813] Tue, 19 September 2006 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dividebytube is currently offline  dividebytube
Esquire
Matsushita EL34s are of excellent quality - Japanese made, but supposedly with Mullard tooling. You often see them in Ebay under El-Menco, RCA, GE, Amperex, etc - but they usually have the 'Made in GT Britain' printed somewhere on the tube.

scroll down on the link to see a pic...

Re:Many Banthans died to bring us this information: [message #9832 is a reply to message #9824] Sun, 24 September 2006 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yeah; I would say they are good. The EL 34 SE; which circuit did you have in mind?

EL34 SE [message #9834 is a reply to message #9832] Mon, 25 September 2006 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
I haven't really studied for any yet. I've glanced at the one on Angela's site.

My interest is that I purchased the Nelson Audio EL34 that Wayne had on loan as a demo from a couple of years ago. I heard it on his 7 Pi's at his house when I first met him and just really liked the sound. Unfortunately I wasn't able to pay the dealer that day and needed to run it by the significant other first. So after a week or so I paid the dealer and Wayne shipped it to me. UPS promptly dropped it hard enough to bust some connections loose and break a few other things on the inside which I wasn't aware of at the time because the outside looked in good shape. Put the tubes in it, fired it up, and boom----the whole thing went up in flames. I decided then and there that I'd never have another tube amp shipped to me. I'd either buy a new one at the dealers or build my own. So I got into building simple headphone amps to get a feel for soldering and such and now it's time to try my hand at a full fledged tube amp. The first I've decided will either be a Darling or a 6EM7 SE amp due to the fact they are fairly inexpensive, simple, and sound pretty damn good, basically use the same PS, and I have the tubes. Then we shall move onto the EL34 which is always in the back of my mind.

Re: EL34 SE [message #9835 is a reply to message #9834] Tue, 26 September 2006 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

That deal always bummed me out too. I wish Frank had just let me send that amp home with you that day.

Re: EL34 SE [message #9836 is a reply to message #9835] Tue, 26 September 2006 10:54 Go to previous message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
Yeah, it was a nice little amp, too! I'm just glad that you were able to get UPS to own up to their screwup. Frank was a standup guy about it as well.

Previous Topic: Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp
Next Topic: Have to tell you about Obbligato capacotors
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:17:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout