Home » Audio » Source » Are they worth anything
Are they worth anything [message #72442] Sun, 29 April 2012 12:50 Go to next message
LuvMartin is currently offline  LuvMartin
Master
My dad has boxes and boxes and crates of albums in his attic. I was just wondering if there is any value to them? Do people still collect and buy records? Most of his are in very good shape, jacket and all.
Re: Are they worth anything [message #72443 is a reply to message #72442] Sun, 29 April 2012 20:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, many audiophiles prefer vinyl records to CDs. Of course, they have to be in very good condition.

Re: Are they worth anything [message #72459 is a reply to message #72443] Mon, 30 April 2012 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I'll take them sight unseen for the postage to get them here. Smile In answer to the question are they worth anything.... hard to tell. In great shape some are. Most unfortunately are badly worn or scratched and not of value. I recently saw some guidelines on condition vs value. They were scored from 10 down to 1. 10 was a new disk, 9 would be suitable for any but the most discriminating listener, 8 had some very minor issues, 7 had a few issues (one-two clicks perhaps some groove noise) but was generally fine, 6 and below were not recommended for any reason. Most desirable disks that were 7 or above were going for $5-10. This is from a retailer. So I am quite sure they didn't give more than about 25% of that to get them. The key is desirable and really good condition.

You may be able to find a local used record / book shop to help you determine if any are valuable.

If you run out of options and still want to get rid of the them PM me. I like nearly all types of music.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Are they worth anything [message #73791 is a reply to message #72442] Wed, 12 September 2012 13:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chicken is currently offline  Chicken
Grand Master
I wonder if he ever got rid of them. I'd take them myself! Very Happy It's easy enough to weed out the bad ones and keep or sell the good ones.
Re: Are they worth anything [message #76155 is a reply to message #73791] Wed, 03 April 2013 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kara is currently offline  Kara
Chancellor
My parents always told me that something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. In the case of old records there are plenty of people who collect them. Yard sales, classified ads, dealers - there are many ways to see what the interest is.
Re: Are they worth anything [message #76175 is a reply to message #76155] Thu, 04 April 2013 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Kara wrote on Wed, 03 April 2013 10:01
My parents always told me that something is only worth what someone else will pay for it. In the case of old records there are plenty of people who collect them. Yard sales, classified ads, dealers - there are many ways to see what the interest is.

That's very true. Sometimes I've sold stuff that went for much less than I thought it would, but the market wasn't as good as my value for it.
Re: Are they worth anything [message #76282 is a reply to message #72442] Fri, 12 April 2013 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wonder if LuvMartin ever sold the records. There is still a good market for them, I think. I certainly would love to have an attic full of records, although I would keep them for myself. Very Happy
Re: Are they worth anything [message #76674 is a reply to message #72442] Tue, 07 May 2013 17:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timron is currently offline  timron
Grand Master
My parents used to have countless records in their attic as well, but when we got them down one year while we were spring cleaning, we discovered that heat had ruined most of them. The intense heat of the attic had melted the album covers to the albums! =( Hope this hasn't happened in your case, Martin!
Re: Are they worth anything [message #76795 is a reply to message #72442] Sun, 19 May 2013 04:13 Go to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
The better shape that they're in, the better the chance that they're worth money. When I go into a music store to buy used albums, I assume that if the jacket is in good condition, so is the LP.
Previous Topic: MP3 Source
Next Topic: Tapes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 02:35:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout