Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp
Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp [message #9792] Tue, 29 August 2006 05:32 Go to next message
FredT is currently offline  FredT
Illuminati (1st Degree)
This is one I see little discussion about on the audio forums. If it sounds as good as the marketing hype indicates it's a real bargain at $499 for the complete kit. Is anybody familiar with this preamp?

Re: Probably a sleeper and there are others [message #9793 is a reply to message #9792] Tue, 29 August 2006 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
This is an "I never heard it but feel qualified to comment" post, LOL.
I do know that few last beyond the first day of listing on Audiogon.

Same is true of Roger Modjeski's creations especially the RM-9 and RM-10 amps. I owned the RM-10 and it is a little powerhouse EL-84 beautifully built.

The opposite is true, it seems of Jolida. Many listed, few sold. My 202A has a better soundstage than most of it's type but a problematic treble. As 'Carl the greenskeeper' would say,"It's a little harsh". Also there is a lot of flux residue on the solder joints. Older production, I'm sure as most of what currently comes from China is first-rate in build.

I just ordere some inexpensive Obbligato aluminum foil caps from DIYHIFISupply to replace the metallised polyprops used as coupling and signal caps. Maybe that'll tame the treble.
I love EL-34's!

Re: Probably a sleeper and there are others [message #9794 is a reply to message #9793] Tue, 29 August 2006 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So Bill; about that Transcendent Sound Grounded grid?

Re: Probably a sleeper and there are others [message #9795 is a reply to message #9793] Tue, 29 August 2006 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Some years ago if you were just getting into tubes and going the extreme budget route, the $99 Bottlehead Foreplay was a good choice. That's what got me into tubes, and it was a good introduction to tubes and to kit building.

But with the current Foreplay version going for $369 plus another $299 for the upgrade kit, the Grounded Grid pre begins to look like a better choice if it sounds good. It also appeals to my sense of aesthetics a lot more than the Bottlehead products, which remind me of a junior high science fair project. Transcendent provides some owner comments, but owner reviews unfortunately are the least reliable reviews one can read about any product. I haven't seen any magazine reviews, which would carry more weight with me.

I'm even more intrigued by their T-16 OTL amp kit. It's only 15 watts into eight ohms, but it should drive my 95dB sensitivity 16 ohm line arrays nicely. But how can I ever justify another amp?

Re: Probably a sleeper and there are others [message #9796 is a reply to message #9795] Tue, 29 August 2006 16:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
The $99 Foreplay was my first DI project, too. Also bought the ParaSex kit from Doc. All three still run like they were new. The grounded grid preamp looks interesting.

Fred, Are you still looking at DACs?......

Looking At Dacs? [message #9797 is a reply to message #9796] Tue, 29 August 2006 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, I got a Lite Audio DAC-60, which I upgraded with Sonicap output coupling caps and a choke in the high voltage power supply. Very happy with it driven by the Squeezebox 3. I also have a Scott Nixon tube dac which is nice but not in the same league as the DAC-60, and a Lite Audio DAC-AH, which is ok but nothing to celebrate.

Re: What was the question? [message #9798 is a reply to message #9794] Tue, 29 August 2006 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)

Re: What was the question? [message #9799 is a reply to message #9798] Wed, 30 August 2006 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
What did you think of it?

Re: Probably a sleeper and there are others [message #9800 is a reply to message #9795] Wed, 30 August 2006 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
OTL has a nice sound; it just remains to be difficult to replace all those tubes when replacing time comes due. Responding to your last statement; why do people spend such an inordinate amount of time on amps and pre-amps but little on cartridges or CD players.? I can't figure this one out. Stupid considering I too am guilty as charged.

Re: Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid Preamp [message #9831 is a reply to message #9792] Sat, 23 September 2006 20:39 Go to previous message
rick is currently offline  rick
Baron
Just happen to see this subject posting. I've used the gg preamp for several years now. All's I can say is it fulfills my criteria for accurate realistic sound. I also use the t-16 mono amp and have the pi 4 theater speakers. Heres a link for a review if your still interested.

Previous Topic: PS Regulation
Next Topic: Looking At NOS EL 34's...!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:24:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout