Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Automated Tickets
Automated Tickets [message #72363] Tue, 24 April 2012 18:23 Go to next message
iLoveiPod is currently offline  iLoveiPod
Master
Have you ever gotten an automated ticket? We have several red light intersections in town that are monitored by traffic cameras, and they'll send you a ticket any time you violate a traffic law, like running a red light or turning illegally.

For those of you that have gotten one of these tickets, have you ever felt that it was in error and tried to fight it? If so, what was the outcome?
Re: Automated Tickets [message #72392 is a reply to message #72363] Thu, 26 April 2012 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
Thankfully, I've never gotten a ticket by one, nor has anyone else I know. But, I'm not gonna waste a good opportunity to rant about those beastly things! We have 'em all over town. I frequently find myself hitting the brakes hard to stop at yellow lights, that I'd otherwise cruise on through if were there no red-light camera. So do many others.

Studies have shown that installing red-light cameras causes an increase in rear end collisions, because people (like me!) are afraid of them and will trounce down hard on the binders to make SURE they're stopped in time, even if the light had only just then turned yellow. They tell us that the cameras don't trigger unless someone enters the intersection after the light has turned red. But, we all know how trustworthy the government is, especially when it comes to money.....

Many municipalities have removed them altogether, because the cost of the third party companies that monitor them exceeded the ticket revenue they generated. We've noticed that several have been recently removed at some of the lower-traffic intersections here. A good start....

Thermionic
Re: Automated Tickets [message #72416 is a reply to message #72363] Fri, 27 April 2012 16:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
I have never gotten a ticket from one, but my sister-in-law did. The ones in our community are still up, but they aren't active. Somebody sued the county over them and won so now they don't use them.
Re: Automated Tickets [message #72438 is a reply to message #72416] Sun, 29 April 2012 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
They just installed more in our town. Mostly at lights where everyone runs them. Several accidents at the one first installed. They are imperfect to be sure, but if they cut down the number of accidents there I'm for it. What we need is better drivers really. The actual penalties do not deter the activity. Maybe if they impounded the offender's car for a month instead of a fine it would be a deterrent. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Automated Tickets [message #72446 is a reply to message #72438] Mon, 30 April 2012 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
gofar99 wrote on Sun, 29 April 2012 11:37
They just installed more in our town. Mostly at lights where everyone runs them. Several accidents at the one first installed. They are imperfect to be sure, but if they cut down the number of accidents there I'm for it. What we need is better drivers really. The actual penalties do not deter the activity. Maybe if they impounded the offender's car for a month instead of a fine it would be a deterrent. Rolling Eyes

I have to agree with you on this one GoFar. Perhaps if people would get off of their stupid phone they might be able to drive a little better. That is one of my biggest pet peeves ever!
Re: Automated Tickets [message #72509 is a reply to message #72363] Thu, 03 May 2012 04:10 Go to previous message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I've gotten one at from a toll both one time, but it wasn't my vehicle and I was driving it. I just called the turn pike authority and they told me not to worry about it.

Here in Britain they have them all over, but if your in a rental car you never get a ticket. But if your in your own pesonal vehicle you'll get one in the mail. Big brother's watching you all the time over here.
Previous Topic: Google Panel
Next Topic: Your least favorite musical instrument
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 13:17:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout