Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » paint matters?
paint matters? [message #72176] Mon, 16 April 2012 18:17 Go to next message
maggie is currently offline  maggie
Chancellor
I heard that the type of paint you use can change the sounds within a room. I am not sure where I heard it or what type of paint was best but is this a myth?
Re: paint matters? [message #72275 is a reply to message #72176] Fri, 20 April 2012 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Miami is currently offline  Miami
Viscount
Sounds like it me. Manufactures put a lot of thought into making paint, but I don't see why room acoustics would be a part of that thought process. They're more concerned about the look and clean-ability.
Re: paint matters? [message #72302 is a reply to message #72176] Sat, 21 April 2012 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
My husband used to own a painting business and he said that he has never heard anything like that before. I think this one might just be a myth.
Re: paint matters? [message #72341 is a reply to message #72176] Mon, 23 April 2012 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VDNorman is currently offline  VDNorman
Esquire
Myth. But of course anything you introduce to the room will have some acoustic characteristics. In this case, not likely perceptible. Paint will stiffen and seal any porousness on a surface, making it that much more reflective at high frequencies.
Re: paint matters? [message #72432 is a reply to message #72176] Sun, 29 April 2012 08:11 Go to previous message
mixinlady
Baron
This sounds far fetched to me. I think the paint would affect the sound quality very minimally, if at all. It's not like paint is made out of some kind of material that is going to bounce sound around; it's porous and just sits there.
Previous Topic: The importance of the size of the room
Next Topic: Kid-proof
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 01:21:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout