Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Recycling JBL 4647A cabs for 4pi?
Recycling JBL 4647A cabs for 4pi? [message #71974] Fri, 30 March 2012 18:31 Go to next message
dprice is currently offline  dprice
Chancellor
Wayne,

I picked up a pair of JBL 2226HPL that are loaded in JBL 4647A "subwoofer" cabinets. The 4647A is 5 cubic feet, tuned to 40 Hz. Simply turning them upside down and cutting in the horn makes for a pretty easy build.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cinema/4647a.pdf

Veneer and a grill can make it right spiffy looking.

My question is about how critical is for the baffle width, port location, and horn location to match the 4pi plans? Matching the horn location is easy. Plugging the 4 existing ports and installing a new one is not a big challenge...but no point in fixing it if it ain't broke. Baffle width is what it is. Reducing cabinet volume is easy enough...I forgot the 4pi specs....

I assume the easy answer is to locate the horn per plan and give it a listen. Modify the volume and tuning as desired...or go all the way and install a the new port.

Also is there any need to change the crossover to use the new H290C? I would be using the DE250.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Don

Re: Use the woofers, but scrap the box [message #71975 is a reply to message #71974] Fri, 30 March 2012 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Honestly, I wouldn't go the fudge/fit route. I have spent a lot of time dialing in these designs and to modify them throws all that out the window. Box dimensions might seem trivial, but in a box this size, standing waves form in the lower midrange so port and woofer placement become important. It's not just a matter of Helmholtz tuning by way of volume and port. That's the fundamental mechanism, to be sure, but if you accidentally line up a pressure node with the port, you'll get some response ripple. So my suggestion is to scavange the woofers and get the right compression drivers, horns and crossovers to build the four π loudspeaker exactly as shown in the plans.

Re: Recycling JBL 4647A cabs for 4pi? [message #71976 is a reply to message #71974] Fri, 30 March 2012 19:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Epstein is currently offline  Bill Epstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
You will enjoy the 2226 in a 4 or 5 cu ft cabinet with horn on top. A lot of us have done all sorts of variations on that theme and not surprisingly, it's the basic configuration of all Hi-Fi speakers going back to the 30's.

But....but.....the 4Pi is an entirely different sounding, more tonally neutral speaker than any Altec, Classic, Klipsch or other horn/bass reflex I've heard excepting the XLH 1812 which you can't buy and won't have room for.
Re: Recycling JBL 4647A cabs for 4pi? [message #71979 is a reply to message #71974] Sat, 31 March 2012 08:49 Go to previous message
dprice is currently offline  dprice
Chancellor
Thanks Wayne! That's exactly what I needed to know.
Previous Topic: 3Pi Plans
Next Topic: Crossovers - Again !!!!!!!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:51:44 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout