Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used?
Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #71911] Sun, 25 March 2012 19:17 Go to next message
AdrianG is currently offline  AdrianG
Baron
I think most of us would agree that solid state amps have improved in recent years. Since they are generally cheaper, do you see a point where the market for tube amps becomes extremely small? Or will there continue to be a demand for both types of amps?
Re: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #72135 is a reply to message #71911] Fri, 13 April 2012 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane is currently offline  Shane
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
As long as there are audiophiles there will most likely be a demand for tubes in the near future anyway. I've found that the SS amps that I prefer tend to be more expensive than the tube amps I like. YMMV though.
Re: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #72219 is a reply to message #71911] Wed, 18 April 2012 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I think there are enough tube aficionados to keep tube amps in business for quite some time. I wouldn't be surprised if the market did get a little smaller as time goes on, but not to the point where it's a niche market.
Re: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #73722 is a reply to message #72219] Sun, 02 September 2012 00:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Guys, it's already a niche market. I'm amazed that a couple of new tubes have been developed. I still like 'em though.

steve
Re: Will there be a time when tube amps are rarely used? [message #73731 is a reply to message #73722] Sun, 02 September 2012 17:01 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I sure hope they won't die out. It is what I design...high performance tube amps. Plus musicians tend to like them. I figure they will be around for a long time. Trying not to be commercial here ... Oddwatt sales are continuing to grow every year - some one is out there buying the gear. This is a similar situation to LPs going away. With at least two new LP plants started in the past year and more than that CD plants closing the demise of vinyl was obviously false. I saw an article from 1980 a little while ago that said "buy you last turntable now" ...as they will not exist in 2-5 years. Another demise that didn't happen. So since tubes are still here and while the companies making them have changed the products are doing well. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Under-Biasing Output Tubes
Next Topic: Preamp suggestions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:49:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers