Home » xyzzy » Tower » Is bullying really a hate crime?
Is bullying really a hate crime? [message #71901] Sat, 24 March 2012 18:37 Go to next message
AdrianG is currently offline  AdrianG
Baron
Did anyone else see 20/20 last night? They interviewed Dharun Ravi, the Indian student convicted of a hate crime after his college roommate committed suicide. I feel bad for people who are bullied, but I also think charging a bully with a hate crime is a bit on the extreme side.
Re: Is bullying really a hate crime? [message #72337 is a reply to message #71901] Mon, 23 April 2012 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
I think all this has gone too far as well. Instead of trying to solve a problem they want to charge you with it instead. It solves nothing in my opinion.
Re: Is bullying really a hate crime? [message #72355 is a reply to message #71901] Tue, 24 April 2012 15:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rockstar is currently offline  Rockstar
Master
I don't know - I guess in some circumstances it could be considered a hate crime. If you are bullying someone because you don't like what they are or stand for (gay, African American) I can see where that would be a hate crime.

Let's chat!
Re: Is bullying really a hate crime? [message #72403 is a reply to message #71901] Fri, 27 April 2012 10:20 Go to previous message
love2play is currently offline  love2play
Master
I think deciding whether or not bullying is a hate crime should be done on an individual basis. For instance, kids are sometimes expelled for "hate crimes" because they get into a fight with a child of another race, but race has nothing to do with the disagreement instead it is just kids being kids.
Previous Topic: Is your garden planted?
Next Topic: Economic recovery???
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:52:19 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout