Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » need suggestions for baby-proof amp cabinet
need suggestions for baby-proof amp cabinet [message #9698] Sun, 02 July 2006 17:55 Go to next message
jtsjf is currently offline  jtsjf
Chancellor
Hi all,
I am looking for help finding for a cabinet/rack/something to put my stereo on-I have a 5 month old daughter who is threatening to learn to crawl, and no protection from my tube stereo- an EL34 PP, bottlehead foreplay, seduction...all have way too much heat and voltage. Anyone have an suggestions? FWIW, all the switches are on the backs of the pieces.
Thanks,
Jason

Re: need suggestions for baby-proof amp cabinet [message #9699 is a reply to message #9698] Tue, 04 July 2006 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd probably go with something similar to tube amps of a few decades ago. Make a nice wood cabinet with a metal mesh or grille on the top for ventillation. Use feet on the bottom and put a mesh or two on the bottom too, allowing airflow by convection.

no problem... [message #9700 is a reply to message #9698] Wed, 05 July 2006 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I'll give you the same solution I apply to using candles on my Christmas Tree. Sober, vigilant adults.

Cubs mobile enough to do damage should never be allowed out of sight for any significant time period in the first place. There is no way to 'xxx-proof' anything. Cars, amps, power sockets.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: no problem... [message #9703 is a reply to message #9700] Wed, 12 July 2006 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damir is currently offline  Damir
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Did you see...

Re: no problem... [message #9704 is a reply to message #9703] Fri, 14 July 2006 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PakProtector is currently offline  PakProtector
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
actually, the child-proofing is more the parent's state of mind. The reality is that the best one should expect is that dangers are just hard enough to get into that Mom/Pop has a chance to intervene.

If one expects it to be 'Proof', then one had best have 'Proof of Insurance' on file at the Hospital.
cheers,
Douglas

Re: need suggestions for baby-proof amp cabinet [message #9880 is a reply to message #9699] Sun, 31 December 2006 00:25 Go to previous message
bretldwig@yahoo.com is currently offline  bretldwig@yahoo.com
Esquire
One new parent audiophile I knew simply took a half height relay rack, finished it to match the room, and "flew" it from the ceiling way out of child reach. Others have bought shelves that could be fitted with latching doors. I don't think there's one right way but having small children around typical high end setups is a no-no. Some type of secured area is a must. Even with computers-kids have been known to pull IEC cords out and stick them in their mouths, resulting in permanent disfigurement.

Previous Topic: Where to look for A Twin-Coupled tube amp--kit or custom
Next Topic: To anybody that's seen a MQ S-271-A...
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:31:03 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio