Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » H290 bumps / texture inside of horn - ok to sand down to smooth?
H290 bumps / texture inside of horn - ok to sand down to smooth? [message #71772] Wed, 14 March 2012 17:08 Go to next message
Maxjr is currently offline  Maxjr
Baron
Hi Wayne,

Is it ok to sand down all of the small bumps / texture on the inside of the H290 horn? Or was it molded this way intentionally? My gut instinct tells me its ok to sand, but wanted to make sure with you first that it won't change anything. I just can't understand why Eminence didn't make it smooth like the back of the horn.

Also, I recall you mentioning removing riser marks on the H290 horn. Do you have a picture of where these are?
Re: H290 bumps / texture inside of horn - ok to sand down to smooth? [message #71776 is a reply to message #71772] Wed, 14 March 2012 21:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, it's fine. Sand away!

The riser marks are the big bumps on the face. The little goosebumps you're talking about are just texture, a form of finish that hides surface irregularities. The riser marks are actually formed where the plastic is injected into the mold. Both can be finish-sanded smooth. Just be careful and don't go so far that the throat opens up. Only take off enough to remove the texture and make 'em smooth.

Re: H290 bumps / texture inside of horn - ok to sand down to smooth? [message #71777 is a reply to message #71776] Wed, 14 March 2012 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 14 March 2012 21:23

Yes, it's fine. Sand away!

The riser marks are the big bumps on the face. The little goosebumps you're talking about are just texture, a form of finish that hides surface irregularities. The riser marks are actually formed where the plastic is injected into the mold. Both can be finish-sanded smooth. Just be careful and don't go so far that the throat opens up. Only take off enough to remove the texture and make 'em smooth.

That's great news! I'll try to keep the throat the same diameter. When you mention the face, are you referring to the area where the 6 bolt holes are? Also, is it enough to just use wood screws to mount the horn into the 3/4" ply, or should I use hurricane nuts and bolts (I'm using hurricane nuts and bolts for the 15" JBL.).
Re: H290 bumps / texture inside of horn - ok to sand down to smooth? [message #71778 is a reply to message #71777] Wed, 14 March 2012 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, the face is where the mounting screws are. I'd prefer T-Nuts or inserts and machine screws to wood screws for mounting the H290. So use the same mounting screws you are using for the woofer.

Re: H290 bumps / texture inside of horn - ok to sand down to smooth? [message #71779 is a reply to message #71778] Thu, 15 March 2012 03:11 Go to previous message
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 14 March 2012 23:54

Yes, the face is where the mounting screws are. I'd prefer T-Nuts or inserts and machine screws to wood screws for mounting the H290. So use the same mounting screws you are using for the woofer.

Just finished installing the 12 hurricane nuts for the 2 H290 horns Very Happy . I agree, that was a better idea than using wood screws.
Previous Topic: Center Channel with 6pi Corner Horns
Next Topic: Let's talk about 4Pi Speaker Stands =p
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 06:43:13 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout