Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Zildjian Cymbals
Zildjian Cymbals [message #71757] Wed, 14 March 2012 13:21 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Just about every drummer I know uses Zildjian cymbals. Do you like them too? What sets them apart from the competition? I'm a little surprised I don't see more variety.
Re: Zildjian Cymbals [message #71910 is a reply to message #71757] Sun, 25 March 2012 19:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AdrianG is currently offline  AdrianG
Baron
I've noticed this as well, they are a very popular cymbal brand. I think it's just that they have a long and reliable history of producing a quality product. I believe they've been around for hundreds of years, which is pretty impressive.
Re: Zildjian Cymbals [message #71994 is a reply to message #71757] Tue, 03 April 2012 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
As AdrianG stated, Zildjian has a sterling reputation for consistently using superior alloys and construction methods to the "el cheapo" brands. Sabian is the other hi-end brand, and some would throw Paiste in that group as well. However, I personally haven't heard any Paiste cymbals that really knocked me out, and I don't know a single drummer out of several dozen local guys who owns even one Paiste.

But, I know a lot of drummers who play Sabian, to the point that Zildjian and Sabian are probably seen about 50/50 around here. To my own ears and tastes, the best crash cymbals I've ever heard were some particular Sabians, although I must say I've never heard a Zildjian that was a slacker by any means.

The best ride cymbal I ever heard, hands down, was a very old Zildjian that belonged to a guy I played in a few different bands with. It was absolutely magical! Likewise, the best hats I've ever heard was a toss-up between two particular sets, one Zildjian, the other Sabian.

In the past few years, a lot of guys around here have started using Stagg cymbals. There's a relatively new company that has the best bang-for-the-buck cymbals on the market. A friend (who is a pro-grade drummer) who owns a music store began carrying them after playing some samples. They've sold like crazy. Local drummers first started buying their special effects cymbals to "flesh out" their kits, because the prices were so good. Many have since used Stagg to replace cracked Zildjian and Sabian crashes over the course of time.

Stagg's lower line cymbals aren't up to snuff when pitted against the pro-line Zildjian and Sabian stuff, but they're nevertheless very usable; way better than anything else in their price range. Stagg's upper-line cymbals are very impressive, and similar to Zildjian and Sabian in sound quality. Alas, they're almost as expensive, too.

Thermionic

Re: Zildjian Cymbals [message #73057 is a reply to message #71757] Wed, 20 June 2012 09:34 Go to previous message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Now that you mention it, I have seen Sabian as well, although not nearly to the extent I see Zildjian. I have never even heard of Paiste or Stagg, but then again I am not a drummer.
Previous Topic: Electric Violins
Next Topic: Thoughts on Digital Pianos
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 17 23:31:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout