Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Best connecters? No connectors?
Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9662] Fri, 19 May 2006 07:48 Go to next message
3moons is currently offline  3moons
Baron
Some of you may have heard this story before. An friend name Tom once had his entire system hardwired. And I do mean every plug in device (except tubes) was hardwired in. The sonic results were "stunning". If I remember, his system at that time was a cj PV5 preamp, rebuilt Dynaco MK IIIs, Audio Alchemy DAC, VPI turntable... maybe... No RCA's, no bananas or speaker plugs of any kind. Tom truly hated, and probably still does, RCA connecters. The DAC , the amps, the preamp, the Acoustat speakers, the turntable, all. Even hardwired into the wall (very dangerous IMO) "BUT, his system sounded stunning! Well, I'm pretty sure he didn't solder the tubes into their sockets.
My second system in the living room is slowly morphing that way. I don't dare go all the way though. So far my line stage has two pair of it's IC's hardwired inside. Pigtailed. Those for the pre out to the amps and those in from the DAC. I plan to do the phono too. It wouldn't be too hard do the same at the amps and speaker cable too. Some day................ jim...

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9663 is a reply to message #9662] Fri, 19 May 2006 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Makes sense to me; there has to be some degradation of the sound from poor contact. But why not start with the speakers and hardwire them to the amp? I do that and it is better.

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9664 is a reply to message #9663] Fri, 19 May 2006 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
That is the plan. SOMEDAY. I've been in the process of building amps and have 5 or 6 pair of Dynacos and Heathkits to listen to and test. Part of the master plan of getting rid of twenty years of collected tube gear. Of course keep some things, then hardwire those. Maybe later this summer I'll have some of the local guys over and we can do a connector/no connectors "shootout". I'll do an update. Maybe a weekend when Wayne can drive through Dallas? jim...

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9665 is a reply to message #9664] Fri, 19 May 2006 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
If you don't mind can I ask why you are liquidating all that great sounding tube gear? Once they are updated and calibrated I don't think there is anything that sounds much better. I listen to a Eico ST 40 now and it sounds much more musical than most of the new amps that cost ten to twenty times as much.
Just do us a favor and post all that gear you don't want on our buy it site here on ART first? Thanks.

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9666 is a reply to message #9662] Fri, 19 May 2006 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
colinhester is currently offline  colinhester
Illuminati (3rd Degree)
It's a great idea if you are 100% satisified with your audio chain. However, this approach would not allow for easy swapping - and that's what this hobby is all about. Right ?

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9667 is a reply to message #9662] Fri, 19 May 2006 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like a good soldered connection, where possible. Then again, for convenience and serviceability, sometimes connectors are handy.

Did you know there is another connection method that is even better than soldering? It is a mechanical gas-free crimp connection. No air gets to the contact junction, so it stays clean and conductive.

Another Way [message #9668 is a reply to message #9662] Fri, 19 May 2006 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip is currently offline  Skip
Chancellor
I remember reading a post some years ago that made a lot of sense to me.
Instead of soldering all of the connections, this guy mentioned putting
threaded brass posts in and then soldering ring tounges on the ends of
your internal and external wires. You would then put the rings together
on the post and clamp them with a nut. Thus, you would have a very tight
connection between the tounges, the posts would not be in the circuit
and you could change things around fairly easily. Not as convenient as
RCAs and conventional binding posts, but still quick, cheap, with an
essentially guaranteed contact quality. I may start doing this -- think
of the savings with an almost assured quality increase.

Skip Pack

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9669 is a reply to message #9667] Fri, 19 May 2006 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Yep Wayne, mechanical crimp. That's what they always preached to us at Western Electric. But they supplied the correct tools for the job. I'll have to live with the solder for now. 8:-) jim...

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9670 is a reply to message #9666] Fri, 19 May 2006 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
It's always something. Why can't we have it all?! 8:-)

Re: Best connecters? No connectors? [message #9671 is a reply to message #9665] Fri, 19 May 2006 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Baron
Hi M-B,
This year I've rebuilt or upgraded 3 pair of Dynaco MK IIIs and 2 pair of Dyna MK IVs. Each MK III is different in several ways. the most different from stock one has potted Dyna MK III output trannies and a long tailed pair front end. 12AU7 and 12BH7. I also rigged it for EL34's instead of 6550s. For 50 watts. I laid the transformers out and cut and drilled onto new two section metal bases resting in a solid oak chassis to isolate the PS from the audio section. Project almost finished. Will probably keep this pair. Don't really need to keep three pair of the same type amps. Also just finished two pair of Dyna MK IV's. A friend grabbed one pair of those after listening on day one. I may keep the second pair. With my "reference" Heathkit amps, that will give me three keepers for only two systems. So that's one reason I'm liquidating. Turn some of it into money for other audio toys of course. 8:-) And I agree, the old stuff is great! And the trannies have "burned in" for 40 years!
My reference amps in the small room uses Heathkit W3M iron on W4M chassis but with a Mullard 5-20 design, choke input PS. I use 7027A output tubes.The circuit was designed by Walter Delesandri. These were in the Dallas Audio Club room at the GPAF. By the way, when I got home I tested the output tubes and one was weak. They have been in there a very long time. Next year, I'll make sure all tubes are new and good. jim...

Previous Topic: Looking for tube advice
Next Topic: Darling D5 amp at GPAF
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:54:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout