Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Aikido Line Stage
Aikido Line Stage [message #9650] Sat, 13 May 2006 12:52 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I just got my new Aikido PC board in the mail today. Man it's nice and heavy and thick. Very nicely laid out with clear numbering and lettering. I bought the 5687 model. Now to assemble it and compare with the other Line Stages on hand. It's pretty big; 10" across.

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9651 is a reply to message #9650] Sat, 13 May 2006 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Man, that's cool. Can't wait to hear more about it. Any chance you could click a few pics while building, maybe show and tell, do a write-up of the build process?

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9652 is a reply to message #9651] Sun, 14 May 2006 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Thanks for your interest Wayne; as far as documenting the build process I am not exactly the most knowledgable candidate for a lucid and comprehensive detailed description of this kind of thing. I get the job done but I'm a little slow. People would be pretty much disinterested long about September when it starts to become a reality.
This board is designed to allow people to adjust all of the parameters required in the build and design aspects of the line stage. It offers two ways to mount all of the passive components as well as multiple mounting options for each capacitor. But it is just a driver board you still need to design a power supply. There is an exhaustive description of the entire design and operation of the amp on Broskies site.
I just find that I like building with PC boards only becuase without a scope or test equipment it takes a lot of the uncertainty out of the process. A multi-meter isn't really enough of a test bench to qualify as proper design procedure.

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9654 is a reply to message #9650] Mon, 15 May 2006 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I don't think you should be allowed to start a new project until you provide some commentary on some of your past mentions.

For example: ESP DoZ, Snubberized PS

Or maybe you're like me, who have 5 unfinished projects on the go at once.

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9655 is a reply to message #9654] Mon, 15 May 2006 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes five at least; the thing is while you are buying things for one project you always think hey; let me get some of these for this other project while I am at it. I just had to buy that PC board though it looked so nice on the website. I just replaced the very last thing in my old ST 70 that was original; the bias resistors. Now there is not one piece left on that old warhorse left to call "Dyna".
The Snubber is simple but the problem is I am using that amp now while I convert the EL 84 to tube rec.
So; whats up on your end G?

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9656 is a reply to message #9651] Mon, 15 May 2006 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master

I think you will like it. I built one with the boards Bas had made up. I use 6n1p or 6fq7 for the input and 6n6~ for the output.

Everyone who listens to it seem to like it.

I used a cobbled together power supply from bits on hand and when I measured it in response to a post on another board. It is absolutely wretched but yet it still sounds good.

I have another set of boards and a proper transformer some day soon I will see what it sounds like with something like clean DC to power it…John

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9657 is a reply to message #9655] Tue, 16 May 2006 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GarMan is currently offline  GarMan
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I am trying frantically to finish a gainclone and a pair of Tangband speakers before I leave for Baltimore Thurs morning. Two weeks ago, I had this bright idea to build a system for my friend in Baltimore. The Tangband and gainclone are as simple as you can get, but nothing's easy with me.

First weekend was spent on the cabinets and second weekend was on the amp chassis. Hoping to finish the wiring tonight.

G.

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9658 is a reply to message #9657] Tue, 16 May 2006 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
G-Man; if you are still there good luck with the amp. I am interested in your project TTYL.

Re: Aikido Line Stage [message #9659 is a reply to message #9656] Wed, 17 May 2006 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Nice work; thats a little different than the board I have, I never did find out what those differences between the various iterations of the Aikido are. Mine is a straight one piece with fopur 5687's. How did you do the power supply?

How did I do the power supply...Badly [message #9660 is a reply to message #9659] Wed, 17 May 2006 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Forty2wo is currently offline  Forty2wo
Master
It came straight out of the junk box. I started with a pair of Allied transformers that I picked up very cheep.
With a SS diode full wave, the voltage was a bit too low. Full wave bridge a bit too high. So I fed that into a small .22 cap to knock down the voltage a bit. The rest are bits rescued from a junk computer power supply.
I checked the voltage and ripple with a DVM and was good to go

It was not until months later, someone ask a question on another board so I hung my scope across the output. It is down right ugly. Between the transformers, the unsnubbed diodes and the small input cap. The thing rings like the bells of St. Mary .
Still using it though. Like Arlo says " we’re just wait’n for it to come around on the guitar again , that’s what we’re doing"
I ordered a proper transformer and in due time I will fix it.

In the mean time I am working on the 300b amps, putting some of Damir and Bas’s ides in the mix. More on that soon.

So who’s boards do you have?…John

Previous Topic: Darling D5 amp at GPAF
Next Topic: Its been a while!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:22:46 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers