Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Taking a class to learn these skills
Taking a class to learn these skills [message #71640] Fri, 02 March 2012 15:04 Go to next message
Damon73 is currently offline  Damon73
Baron
I have to confess that I'm not very good with tools, but I think I would like to improve that someday. Do community colleges offer classes on things like soldering?
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #71710 is a reply to message #71640] Fri, 09 March 2012 17:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SteveBrown is currently offline  SteveBrown
Grand Master
I'm guessing it depends a lot on the community college. I remember taking some basic electricity courses when I was a kid at a local CC that did, in fact, teach those skills. On the other hand, you may want to see if someone (a hi-fi DIY type) in your area might be willing to mentor you on this. Personally, I'm in Portland, OR and would be happy to help if you're local to me.
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #71809 is a reply to message #71640] Sat, 17 March 2012 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jammin_nmy_livinroom is currently offline  jammin_nmy_livinroom
Chancellor
I don't know about the community colleges that are in your community, but we have one in the city that I live in and yes, they do offer practical tool-use classes. I think that varies widely from college to college, though. However, if you can't find a class you need at the local college, you can always try Home Depot - they have Saturday workshops all the time. As a last resort, you can always look up a how-to video online.
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #72155 is a reply to message #71640] Sun, 15 April 2012 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LoveJB is currently offline  LoveJB
Master
I don't think there are classes on soldering at colleges. Then again there may be if it's a technical school. You can Google Soldering classes and see what comes up.
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #72158 is a reply to message #72155] Sun, 15 April 2012 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I believe I have seen some on line tutorials on soldering.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #72248 is a reply to message #71640] Thu, 19 April 2012 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurnItUp is currently offline  TurnItUp
Viscount
You can probably find a zillion "how to" videos online, but in my community we have a technical college that does offer classes like this. If you have a college in your area why not give them a call and see?
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #73349 is a reply to message #71640] Sat, 21 July 2012 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sonicsound is currently offline  Sonicsound
Baron
Soldering is pretty simple to do actually. I would recommend just doing a quick search online in on how to do it. When I was living with my parents, my father used to use a soldering iron quite frequently in fixing a lot of our appliances, so I know that actually using it is not too difficult.
Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #74230 is a reply to message #71640] Mon, 22 October 2012 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
24KPython is currently offline  24KPython
Chancellor
Interesting... I've taken several electronics classes, and there was even a lot of "hands on" practice... BUT they never actually gave you soldering lessons!

I like the suggestion of trying Home Depot / Lowe's... Has anyone ever tried that? I'd be curious if it was a just a demonstration, or if you could actually try it yourself.

Re: Taking a class to learn these skills [message #82174 is a reply to message #74230] Fri, 11 March 2016 08:46 Go to previous message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
24KPython wrote on Tue, 23 October 2012 08:20
Interesting... I've taken several electronics classes, and there was even a lot of "hands on" practice... BUT they never actually gave you soldering lessons!

Here we learn about soldering in junior high schools. I had electronic class for all three years when I was there, each session involved soldering in various activities. Of course it was only for simple purposes. Technical colleges have advanced lessons. I have friends who attend such college and they do not get any classes specific for soldering only. Looks like they assume all enrolling students must be able to do that already.

I know someone who teaches this kind of skill outside official institutions, though it is very rare to find one here.
Previous Topic: My DIY system
Next Topic: Seeking advice on de-soldering
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 17:39:30 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout