Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build (skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build)
skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71617] Thu, 01 March 2012 13:25 Go to next message
skywave-rider is currently offline  skywave-rider
Viscount
I am planning my 3Pi subwoofer build and I have a few questions regarding woofer mounting.

The Pi Subwoofer driver has 0.26", (6.6mm) mounting holes. What's the best thing to do...should I use all 8 mounting holes, t-nuts, and what size screws work best so as not to distort the mounting flange? I was thinking of getting these.

I am probably not recessing the woofer, and I will use a grill like this, requiring this sort of hardware, unfortunately.
The cheaper plastic grill mounts would be less damaging to the baffle.

Any tips are appreciated.

Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71620 is a reply to message #71617] Thu, 01 March 2012 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I like using T-nuts for the larger drivers, 10-32 size with button head or hex head screws. Wood screws are fine for dome tweeters and small cone speakers, but I do like something a bit more substantial for horns and larger prosound drivers. Some people prefer threaded inserts - and those are great too - but I've worked through all the problems you commonly run into with T-nuts so I'm good with them. The trick is to get good T-nuts (like from Midwest Fastener) and pull them into the wood before assembly.

Don't beat them in with a hammer, and don't pull them in place when you're putting the speaker together. Use a washer and a sacrificial screw (or three) to gradually pull the T-Nut in by tightening it down. Only use the screw to pull-in three or four T-nuts, then discard it and get a new one. I also recommend a drop of PL adhesive on each T-Nut to hold it firmly in place.

Don't skimp on this step. You are planning for the T-Nuts to last the life of the cabinet, and to provide you with trouble-free, serviceable access. If you install them as I've described, they'll be that for you. But if you don't, they can be a real pain. Every time I hear of someone complaining about T-Nuts, they're in one of these categories:

1. Tapped the T-Nuts in with a hammer - The tangs bent, and the T-Nut is loose, held only by the screw clamping force. So when you loosen the screw, the T-Nut spins. Makes it really hard to get the speaker out for service.
2. Didn't put a spot of epoxy on the T-Nut - Even if the tangs go in straight, a few knocks on the head of a partially loosened screw can make the T-Nuts come loose. They hold pretty well, but it's easy insurance to add a dab of PL adhesive during assembly. Just a dab though, don't get any on the threads.
3. Pulled the T-Nuts in with a screw, as described, but used the same screw over and over again, damaging the T-Nut threads - Sacrifice the screw, only use it to set two or three T-Nuts. You don't want them to have damaged threads, 'cause once they're installed, they're permanent.

Put 'em in right, and they'll last a lifetime, giving you trouble-free serviceable access. But put 'em in wrong, and you'll be frustrated to no end when it's time for a woofer to come out.

Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71624 is a reply to message #71620] Thu, 01 March 2012 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks, Wayne. I will do my best.
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71627 is a reply to message #71617] Thu, 01 March 2012 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Psychoacoustic is currently offline  Psychoacoustic
Viscount
G'day skywave- I used those same P.E. grilles on two Pi 3 S/Ws. No installation or vibration problems at all.
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71631 is a reply to message #71627] Thu, 01 March 2012 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks, Psychoacoustic!
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71632 is a reply to message #71617] Thu, 01 March 2012 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Just one thing, mate- are you planning on leaving the thickish (10mm?) supplied gasket under the woofer frame? I queried this, Wayne said it stays. If so (I used those same mounting flanges as well), you'll need to fashion spacers for under the flanges to allow for the thickness of the gasket.
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71633 is a reply to message #71632] Thu, 01 March 2012 22:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
I see, spacers for the flanges on the grill clamps?
These?
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?AID=10500969&PID=1941119&Partnumber=260-352&scqty=1
or maybe these:
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?AID=10500969&PID=1941119&Partnumber=260-340&scqty=1

To raise them high enough to work ... I think I get it. The cut sheet I downloaded from Eminence shows a thick gasket on top of the woofer frame. But I can't see if there's also one below. Anyway, I will know in a few days.
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71634 is a reply to message #71617] Thu, 01 March 2012 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Right, not the one on top- that won't interfere, but the hard laminated paper gasket below, which I queried with Wayne. Perhaps I misinterpreted his reply and its not meant to be there.
I used scrap MDF for the spacers- little bit rough, yes, but the cabs haven't been veneered either!
Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71647 is a reply to message #71634] Sat, 03 March 2012 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Psychoacoustic wrote on Thu, 01 March 2012 23:03
Right, not the one on top- that won't interfere, but the hard laminated paper gasket below, which I queried with Wayne. Perhaps I misinterpreted his reply and its not meant to be there.
I used scrap MDF for the spacers- little bit rough, yes, but the cabs haven't been veneered either!

I just got the woofer, thanks, Wayne.

I see the hard laminated paper gasket referred to by Psychoacoustic. Wayne, since the bottom of the woofer flange is perfectly flat, is there harm in not using the hard paper gasket there? I would use a weatherstrip type tape for a seal instead. The reason is to keep the woofer from protruding as much as is practical. I would leave the top gasket to mount the metal grill on top of so there is enough clearance between the surround roll and the grill.

Regarding the mounting holes in the woofer flange, do I need to worry about the edge of the surround which covers almost 50% of the hole?

Re: skywave's 3Pi subwoofer build [message #71649 is a reply to message #71647] Sat, 03 March 2012 21:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can take the gasket off if you want, but if you do, be sure to scrape it off completely and clean the surface, like you would do on an engine rebuild. Start with a completely smooth and clean surface for the new gasket. Otherwise, you may not have a good seal.

I guess I don't see the benefit in doing this. If you are concerned with the height from the baffle, wouldn't it be better to route a recess for the woofer to sit in?

About the mounting holes, and the portion of the surround that partially covers them, simply foke through that. It's just an artifact of assembly. You can cut it with a razor, if you want. But you can just poke the mounting screw into the hole too. There's no harm if that bit of material bends or tears.

Previous Topic: Alternate idea for 7Pi midhorn enclosure?
Next Topic: Information about the 3 Pi Subwoofer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:52:34 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout