Home » Audio » Silicon Valley » Bass Boost
Bass Boost [message #71591] Wed, 29 February 2012 17:53 Go to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A friend of mine was bragging about the bass boost on his solid state amp. I haven't yet heard it so I don't know how it sounds, but I'm generally not a fan of bass overpowering the mix. I wondered what you all thought about the bass boost option.

Re: Bass Boost [message #71593 is a reply to message #71591] Wed, 29 February 2012 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Wiz is currently offline  The Wiz
Chancellor
Generally I agree with you, I think bass boost is used too much. If you're going to use it, you need to be careful with it. I'd give your friend the benefit of the doubt and see how it sounds first before rushing to judgment though.
Re: Bass Boost [message #71636 is a reply to message #71591] Fri, 02 March 2012 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DinosaurDance is currently offline  DinosaurDance
Chancellor
Bass boost is a tool, like anything else, so it can sound pretty good or it can be abused. I agree that you need to listen to it first.
Re: Bass Boost [message #72151 is a reply to message #71636] Sun, 15 April 2012 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It can be useful with some bass-shy recordings, but it is overused more often than not. Most of the mass market equipment we hear in peoples' homes and cars, and it any big box store, has far too much midbass boost dialed in.

Here's an example. It's the frequency response of the stereo in my 2010 Nissan Sentra with the tone controls set flat:

index.php?t=getfile&id=760&private=0
  • Attachment: Sentra.bmp
    (Size: 1.35MB, Downloaded 7224 times)
Re: Bass Boost [message #72159 is a reply to message #72151] Sun, 15 April 2012 21:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree that it can be useful, but I don't use any. I usually find that if you do boost the bass it is because something is deficient. Confused Either in the system or the source material. In the system it ought to be fixed if you can as it will influence all music that is reproduced. If it is in the source material then there are a number of possibilities. One it was intended to be that way (OK), second it is a crappy rendition (not OK and I generally won't listen to it), third is was a legacy recording and might benefit from such assistance (kind of OK). In the last case I can see a positive benefit the others no. The question in general begs the whole issue of tone controls, processors and other enhancement devices. IMHO, if you like them and find them useful, great. If you don't like them, also great. Smile

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bass Boost [message #72269 is a reply to message #72151] Thu, 19 April 2012 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thermionic is currently offline  Thermionic
Master
AudioFred wrote on Sun, 15 April 2012 08:24
Most of the mass market equipment we hear in peoples' homes and cars, and it any big box store, has far too much midbass boost dialed in.

Definitely. Besides their overinflated, tubby, mushy, farty, one-note bass characteristic, something else I've noticed in every bookshelf stereo I hear playing in big box stores is extremely grainy, harsh, grating treble. It sets my teeth on edge and just about makes my skin crawl.

And, it's not just today's playback equipment that has ridiculously overboosted midbass, but today's recordings as well. Add to that the ridiculous amount of compression used on them, and all you have is BLECH.

I noticed a trend in mass-market consumer stereo equipment (Pioneer, Kenwood, JVC, Sansui, etc) beginning in the '80s, where decent sound quality quickly began taking a back seat to big bass, insane SPL, and blingy, gimmicky display screens. The next thing you knew, individual-component, full-size stereo systems disappeared from stereo shops and big chain electronics stores' stereo departments, and chintzy bookshelf systems took their place.

It seems that the entire industry collectively manipulated the market in a certain direction, in the name of huge sales and profit margins. The bottom line is that equipment that produces loud, sizzling, grainy highs and big, boomy bass is very cheap and easy to manufacture. But, designing and manufacturing stuff that actually sounds good is FAR more difficult and expensive. So, the industry has purposely instilled in the minds of the mass-market Joe Consumers that harsh highs and boomy bass mean good sound.

Thermionic
Re: Bass Boost [message #72270 is a reply to message #72269] Thu, 19 April 2012 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Well said. From personal experience some of the best sounding commercial gear I have is from the 70s. Back when Marantz, Hafler and others knew what they were doing. I'll put my current designs up against anything in a big box store. Modesty (what my spouse says I have a shortage of Confused ) won't permit me to say how bad their stuff will be in comparison. Granted you can't get a system with my designs for the $200 they charge for one. Media as you noted is also rather iffy too. A positive change may be on the horizon with HD digital cloud music. Some stuff is excellent and the technology is advancing by leaps and bounds. I can see getting a digital box as a source input to my system. Tubes will make up the rest though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Bass Boost [message #82177 is a reply to message #71591] Fri, 11 March 2016 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lizah is currently offline  Lizah
Master
I think it really depends on what you are listening to. Some music is made to sound really good with a lot of bass, while others aren't. I guess it really all depends on personal preference.
Re: Bass Boost [message #82388 is a reply to message #71591] Fri, 15 April 2016 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yurimi is currently offline  Yurimi
Viscount
I am probably biased because traditional public transportation abuse bass boosts here. They set the volume high with big bass sound that it overpowers the song itself. I only feel pain in my ears and chest because how heavy the set-up is. I love to listen to bass in my music, but nothing overboard. I hope your friend has a good reason to use a bass boost, otherwise it's going to hurt the listeners if not used properly.
Re: Bass Boost [message #84177 is a reply to message #82388] Fri, 23 December 2016 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kenzie is currently offline  Kenzie
Chancellor
I am with you Yurimi. I love a good bass sound but not to the point of pain. When I hear that low BOOM, BOOM on the highway I just look around till I find that car. It's usually some teenager that is just jammin' away. It scares me to think that he/she could never hear a siren with all that bass.
Previous Topic: Acoustic Research amp
Next Topic: Comparing two amps
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:08:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout