Home » Audio » Thermionic Emissions » Dropping resistor for LED?
Dropping resistor for LED? [message #9620] Thu, 06 April 2006 20:38 Go to next message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi,

I need some help. I have this preamp (ACA2b from Nohr) and the blue LED is just too bright!

Can't I put a resistor in series with one of the leads and dim this?

But, which lead, and about what value should I try? How do I identify the correct lead of the blue LED?

Incidentally, other than this little issue I love the preamp.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Dropping resistor for LED? [message #9621 is a reply to message #9620] Thu, 06 April 2006 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can put a resistor on either lead. The value you use will set the brightness. You might try values between 220Ω and 560Ω, but maybe as high as 1KΩ or as low as 100Ω.

Re: Dropping resistor for LED? [message #9622 is a reply to message #9621] Fri, 07 April 2006 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Williams is currently offline  Mark Williams
Baron
Hi there Wayne,

Wow! Those resistor values are even more rangey than I'd imagined. I'll play around with it until I get it right. Thanks for the answer.

This blue LED is so bright at night...it's like staring into the sun! I've been getting tired of putting a credit card in front of it!

Nice preamp though...uses 6922's mounted on a circuit board. $400 DELIVERED from Thailand. Not bad.

Thanks,
Mark

Re: Dropping resistor for LED? [message #9623 is a reply to message #9620] Fri, 07 April 2006 11:16 Go to previous message
cheetah is currently offline  cheetah
Viscount
I had an electronics teacher who used to say, "when in doubt use 1K."

I'd strat here and decide if you need to go lower/brighter, or higher/dimmer.

Joe

Previous Topic: EL503 reissue
Next Topic: Houston Audio Society SET Amp Meeting Pictures
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:25:25 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers