Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » Modified 4pi Idea (Here we go again)
Modified 4pi Idea (Here we go again) [message #71530] Sat, 25 February 2012 01:37 Go to next message
dutchswan0311 is currently offline  dutchswan0311
Viscount

Okay, I know in advance that Wayne's reply will be something to the affect of "why mess with perfection" on a system that is tried and true. Fair Enough. But I had a fleeting idea that I thought I might run past everyone for a moment.

I like the look of the 3pi, but desire the extra performance of the 4pi. From what I can tell; the 4pi digs 15Hz deeper, has a 3 dB gain, and 5 dB increase in SPL. I think Wayne will say much of that is negated by the use of a sub...but I still want to propose my concept:

I like the look of the horn centered over the woofer. But how can this be achieved without losing Hz off he low end? What if the port were to be moved to the side of the cabinet? Anyway, just a fleeting thought I might ask about in an effort to combine performance with aesthetics. I look forward to Wayne's reply! Smile

index.php?t=getfile&id=729&private=0

Re: Modified 4pi Idea (Here we go again) [message #71531 is a reply to message #71530] Sat, 25 February 2012 09:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I'd say measure it to be sure. You could also model it to see the influence of the internal standing waves on that layout, but I'd still prefer measurements, in the end.

Personally, I like the looks of the offset port. Just make your speakers in stereo pairs, and I think they look great. Maybe it's a proud papa thing, but I've always liked the look of speakers with offset ports, made as stereo mirror images of one another.

Previous Topic: Need help on 4Pi speakers
Next Topic: Surround Sound With TV Over Fireplace
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 08 21:51:45 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout