Home » xyzzy » Tower » Will libertarians ever abandon the two major parties?
Will libertarians ever abandon the two major parties? [message #71526] Fri, 24 February 2012 21:26 Go to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
One of the few things that has interested me about the presidential primary is how Ron Paul has done a little better this time. It seems like there is a significant percentage of our population who agree with his positions.

The thing I don't understand is that many of these people will eventually go with Obama or the Republican nominee. The Bush and Obama presidencies have both been fiscally terrible. I've looked at the records of Mitt Romney and Rick Santorum, and I wouldn't trust them to reduce the debt either. How much longer are we going to resort to voting for the lesser of two evils?
Re: Will libertarians ever abandon the two major parties? [message #71532 is a reply to message #71526] Sat, 25 February 2012 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
A Republican candidate cannot use rational thought processes, tell the truth, and be supported by the Teavangelical "base". Likewise, a Democartic candidate must bend to the biases of their "progressive" base, which hates anything having anything to do with the free enterprise system.

Libertarians seem to have gravitated toward the Tea Party because of its commitment to small government, low taxes, and free enterprise. However, they have nothing in common, and are being dragged down by the evangelical Christian membership, which is mostly interested in government intrusion into peoples' bedrooms and starting new wars in the Middle East.

I'm afraid the average voter isn't smart or realistic enough to understand and accept the inevitable changes we must support and the sacrifices everybody will have to make to dig us out of the budget deficit our politicians have created. Ron Paul is honest about this, therefore he could never be the Republican candidate and is unelectable as an independent.

http://www.theledger.com/article/20120224/POLITICS/120229621?p=1&tc=pg
Re: Will libertarians ever abandon the two major parties? [message #71542 is a reply to message #71526] Sun, 26 February 2012 19:43 Go to previous message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
That's interesting analysis, and unfortunately I think you're absolutely right. I especially agree with you on the Tea Party. How are we supposed to have smaller government and lower taxes, yet still finance these expensive wars? Both sides really need to start compromising on things fast or I think we're in some trouble.
Previous Topic: Coupons - are they worth it?
Next Topic: Republican Primaries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:29:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout