Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Electric Violins
Electric Violins [message #71502] Thu, 23 February 2012 17:47 Go to next message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
A friend of mine who plays the violin told me he was thinking of getting an electric violin. I thought that was pretty interesting, I don't know too much about these although I do like their sound. Has anyone here ever played an electric violin?
Re: Electric Violins [message #71590 is a reply to message #71502] Wed, 29 February 2012 17:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nymeria is currently offline  Nymeria
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I wasn't aware the electric violin existed, although I guess it makes sense since you could make it similarly to an electric guitar.

Now I'm imagining a violin with a whammy bar. Smile
Re: Electric Violins [message #71645 is a reply to message #71502] Sat, 03 March 2012 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audioaudio90 is currently offline  audioaudio90
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Nymeria: Laughing

I have heard of electric violins but have never had the privilege to listen to one. I'd really like to, though. Where have you heard one, Freddy?
Re: Electric Violins [message #72004 is a reply to message #71502] Wed, 04 April 2012 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Wassilak is currently offline  Bill Wassilak
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Haven't played one but being a soundman love'm. Have him try out several different ones with different pickups before he decide's to buy, and what kind of sound he's looking for. It all comes down to the pickup that's in the violin.

I usually send it through a direct box to mixer, so there's no open mic on stage so I can get more gain before feedback, and you'll be able to hear the violin in the mix.

Re: Electric Violins [message #72448 is a reply to message #71502] Mon, 30 April 2012 13:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
likearecordbaby
Baron
I have no idea what this is, but it sounds awesome. I suppose it would just be a more modern version of the violin, huh?
Re: Electric Violins [message #72461 is a reply to message #71502] Mon, 30 April 2012 23:50 Go to previous message
Freddy is currently offline  Freddy
Viscount
Thanks for the advice Bill, I'll pass that along. I agree with you, I think they sound great, I'm surprised they're not more popular. If this topic made a few more people interested in them too, that's awesome.
Previous Topic: Condenser & Dynamic Mics
Next Topic: Zildjian Cymbals
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 02:23:42 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout